Order cancelled-need to make new choice, help please?

mw_rip

Hi. Based on everyone's previous advice, I had placed an order for the K100D,

the 18-55 kit lens, the pentax 50-200 zoom, and the 360 flash, thinking this

would be a good start for a newbie and of course would have the 200$ rebate.

After waiting for 9 days, I just now got an email telling me it was backordered

for at least another two weeks and had never been sent (and yes, this was one of

the stores commonly recommended here). So, cancelled order and am now thinking

of getting K100D body only, the Sigma 70-300 apo dg, and either the pentax 16-45

or the sigma 17-70.

The question is, are both the Pentax 16-45 and the Sigma 17-70 fully compatible

with both the K100 and the K10 (which I hope to purchase at a later date), and

which one would you recommend?

Yes, I know other stores have some of those items-but I can't find any store that has all 4 of the items I wanted (at the same time to get the full rebate). I just figured since my original order didn't work out and since I would want to upgrade eventually, that perhaps I should just buy the 'better' lenses to start and save the money I would have spent on the kit lenses, though I did hear they were quite decent for their low price. I don't want to put down a store based on one dealing with them-perhaps it was just a fluke. However, I will say my one order with B&H was awesome and easy, I'm sticking with them from now on!

The confluence of 4 items that are rebate sensitive items may keep you from ever getting your items. Avoid the frustration and buy at more than one store if you must. Pentax is popular thesedays and seemingly unable to saturate the marketplace with their entire lens system.

Pentax digital glass can be tough to locate anyways, and film glass impossible to buy new.

Personally I'd add you should get the 10D and the kit lense to start. I don't own a K10D but the reviews are stellar. I own the Samsung GX-1S and I'd give it a buy rating too. But I'm biased, I require better view their pentaprism viewfinders offer. Samsung GX-1S runs $549 w/ kit lense at B&H.

I'm not ready to commit to a shake reduction body. So with one dslr in hand I'm not in a hurry to get #2, whether it be pentax or canon. I use both system thus my hessitancy to get #2.

You have no dslr I'd assume, Summer's coming you should buy something to learn how to use it and get any possible bugs out. Then buy extra glass you need, I am pretty sure pentax has been running the rebate with little change for a year now. It expires and starts immediately every couple months. Only change I've noticed was the 50mm 1.4 film lense used to have a $50 rebate, now its $25. Good Luck,

Lindy

Well, I believe we went over which camera to choose first.

Yes, much stock has been moving since Pentax came out with the SR cameras.

For now, I would highly recommend buying from B&H, as they do have the K100D body in stock, as well as the kit lens deals. But you are right- the Sigma 17-70mm is definitely better. Worth waiting for, I would say. for now, I highly recommend you consider getting the ultra-compact 21mm Limited lens. It is a very high-quality optic in a unique Pentax compact concept. You will not see others with a different brand camera with anything like that! It is not only an eye-catcher, but extremely functional in its convenient portability.

It is a wide angle, but not extemely wide- good versatility for all around use. I mentioned before the importance of shooting with a good prime lens instead of always with a zoom. I have this lens and other primes too. No matter how many zooms you will have, you will always treasure the compact usefulness and fine optical quality offered with this very small, high-quality package. It also has top-luxury class build quality- the Pentax delux top of the line. The Pentax Limited series is very highly regarded around the world in the field of photography.

It now has a rebate offer running. I think B&H also has the 360 flash in. You could also get the Pentax 50-200mm now in stock. Very reasonable also with rebate. Popular Photography tested the Samsung version (same lens licensed to Samsung by Pentax) in July 2006 issue. You can find a copy to read in a local library. They found it to be the best "kit" type tele-zoom they ever tested. Sharpness and distortion as good or better than expensive pro lenses. Metal lens mount- not plastic like other brands. Great for portrait and people pictures without getting in their face. small and unobtrusive.

The Sigma 70-300 APO DG is also very good, and its advantages are more reach if needed, very good close-up capability, and could be used on a film camera. But it is a pretty large lens- a disadvantage. And the 17-70mm provides very good close-up magnification too! The Pentax 50-200 mm, on the other hand, is amazingly compact for a telephoto zoom. Its close-up spec is actually pretty good, but not quite as magnified as the Sigma. It may be a little better yet than the Samsung, with the Pentax special coatings.

I also recommend getting Hoya circular polarizing filters to use with your lenses to blue- up skies and control reflections, etc. at only about $34 for these smaller sizes. And for the zoom lens perhaps a Hoya SKYLIGHT protective filter (ask for multi-coated for this one- but not the polarizers). I do not ordinarily keep one on the 21mm because its compact lens hood and cap are very protective- and I am careful.

The 17-70mm is not with rebate- so you could then wait for stock to come in. Keep us informed of how it is going.

Mike

BTW, never mind any special odd-ball size filters that fit inside the lens hood on the 21mm Limited. Just use the regular 49mm size and remove the lens hood for use, and obtain a standard lens cap for such times. The circular polarizer needs to be rotated, and the lens hood must be removed anyway. So order a standard 49mm cap also if you do not have one.

Mike

I have the 16-45 and think it's a great lens. Very sharp, and close focus. The only

disadvantage is it's F4.

My suggestion, if you really expect a rebate, is to only purchase something in stock.

Pentax contracts out the rebates to another company, and they have no interest in giving

you a penny. If your item is backordered, the rebate company counts the date you place

the order as the first of the 30-day time limit for applying for rebate. Let's say you place

an order and it takes 31 days to actually get the item. You immediately send the rebate

but it's postmarked 31 days after purchase.

You will have missed the 30-day deadline after purchase and you will NOT get the rebate.

They will also refuse anything else on the same rebate form, even if it was purchased

within 2 days. I have called Pentax and they said I would get my rebate even though it was

refused for the above reasons. The check has yet to come.

I actually called B&H and he said the industry standard for when an item is purchased is

the first order, and NOT when your card is charged and the item ships. I think it's BS and I

wonder whether that holds legal water. I better quit before my blood pressure goes

through the roof again. Lots of luck.

I agree about the rebate nonsense. Eligibility should qualify from both order date and order filled date.

Incidently, I checked B&H a while ago, and clicked on the info tab for the 17-70 lens. I also checked for Nikon mount. I found that they carry the Nikon mount in stock. I clicked the info tab on the lens in Pentax mount, apparently they do not carry this mount in normal stock, as many Pentax buyers will take the kit lens or 16-45. But they will order it in for you upon request.

I believe this will eventually change, and it will be in regular stock once they realize there is more interest for it, with its faster aperture, greater zoom range without changing lenses, and better close-up magnification. See Popular Photography test May 2006, and test at photozone.de

I just checked, and B&H has all of the items in stock. They even have the 16-45mm back in stock after a long out of stock period (I just ordered one by the way!!!).

Anyway, the rebate says that all items have to be purchased on the same receipt.

Well, you have all given me a lot to think about and I definitely appreciate the many suggestions. Yes, Joseph/Mike E./Lindy, that was exactly the initial problem-I was trying to get the 'combination rebate' offer in which Pentax states that all qualifing items have to be on the same receipt-quite a hassle. Anyway, I think it will all work out for the best. I have decided that rather than concentrate on what brings the best rebate or 'most bang for the buck', I should focus on which lens/setup interests me most for the long run even if it takes me a little longer to accumulate everything. I should have realized that from the start. So, I was on B&H this morning and found the 50mm 1.4 in stock and purchased that. Any comments on that lens? I will add the K100D body and Pentax 50-200 lens this weekend. From there, I will consider what to get for something wider...perhaps the Sigma 17-70 (just seems a bit more versatile than the 16-45?) or one of the limited primes such as the 21mm as Mike K. suggested, which I love the look of, but have to consider which will be more useful to start with. Once again, thanks everyone!

The FA 50mm f/1.4 is a sharp, very fast lens which provides a moderate telephoto image size on digital cameras. Fine for people shots, etc with softer out-of-focus background, using smaller apertures. Favored by many advanced and pro photographers. Great for low-light shooting with its fast aperture capability. A fine choice at a good price.

I love the convenience and fine performance of my 21mm Limited. It is great to be able to fit a full-featured SLR camera with this lens into a sturdy-built leather "fanny" belt pouch to go on walks or visit around without needing a case over my shoulder. Great versatile focal length too. Can accommodate many views and situations. There is even enough room left to include my 50mm in the SAME "fanny" belt pouch, putting it into the little leather lens pouch that comes with the Limited!

I can also pack a zoom lens along, in case I might want to extend range, in another small belt case. I did a lot of shopping around to find the right size and decent build quality of these cases, but they were not much money. Found one of them at JC Penny last year!

I also have a heavy-duty jacket with extremely large pockets of thick material. Camera and lens can even fit into one of these pockets!

One thing to remember- if coming in out of cold conditions into warm environment, or even receiving shipment in cold weather, allow gradual warmup of lens, camera, and equipment before removing from case/or entirely from the packing. This is to prevent possible moisture condensation from occuring inside.

Mike