Speedlight Kit R1/SB-R200 - battery usage.

nickwhite

Does anyone know if it is OK to use rechargeable (RCR123) batteries in the

SB-R200s as opposed to the throwaway CR123s?

Also any info about battery life would be useful; eg how many full power flashes

can one expect from a new CR123.

I'm waiting on delivery of the R1 kit, hopefully in the next few days, Nikon UK

allowing! and will be using with a D80 + Micro 105VR.

Thanks.<div>00KJlO-35462684.jpg.8448fd28377e50ad3644447c091193ef.jpg</div>

Thanks guys, wow you folks get spoiled on that side of the pond - high street price on Duracel/Panasonic etc here is 6.99gbp each - thats $27 for two! I can get a charger and 2 rechargables on ebay for the same price; but I need to know if i'd be courting trouble using them in the speedlights.

I'd still appreciate input from anyone who has tried the rechargables.

There were little voltage differences on the CR123 models by different makers.

I use a CR123R (- where R stands for rechargeable) on mu SU-800, and it it works OK. I believe the battery was make in China. The batteries have voltage 1.5 that is the same as required by the SU-800 unit.

I do not have SB-R200 flashes, but you need compare required voltages, and if they agree, you can ise the rechargeable battery.

• 2 years later...

<p>I know this is a very old thread but I never found anything conclusive in my search for this information so I'll jump in anyway.<br>

I just received my Tenergy RCR123's today with a charger and measured the voltage at 4.1. I tested them out in my SB-R200 with my fingers crossed and seem to work fine so far. I'll report back if they kill my flashes or commander in the next while, but I figure there's probably a built-in voltage regulator on these things.<br>

I expect to get only about 100-150 shots from these batteries because they are rated at 700mAH while I'm guessing that a regular battery is over 2000 mAH (how much juice the batteries hold)<br>

I'd still rather use these as the regular batteries are like 10 bucks a piece here and if I order the cheap ones in bulk, A)they're terrible for the enviro and B) I'll get jacked on shipping and customs anyway<br>

Frank the voltage for the SU-800 is 3 V not 1.5.</p>

<p>Hope this helps someone!</p>

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...