Thorny "what macro lens" problem

lester_hawksby1

I also want to chime in for the 55mm F2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor. A wonderful lens I was lucky enough to find on ebay in near mint condition for $89. I've used it a lot ever since and won't ever part with it. It's also great for digital and I use it on my D80 a lot for product shots.

Dave

Lester, If you have doubts about Nikon's build quality (55mm or 60mm), it is unlikely that the Sigma will impress. If 60mm is your desired focal length, the Nikon is by far your best choice. It has a large focusing ring (unlike the thin 55mm AF ring), and unmatched performance of the short AF Macro's.

I've got the Sigma 105 Macro EX as well. It's the sharpest lens I own, and not just close up, either. It focuses from infinity down to 1:1. Tests at Photozone confirm the sharpness, build quality, relative lack of chromatic aberation, etc. The only issue for you might be the 105mm focal length. If used on a copy stand to photograph anything that wasn't quite small, you might have a problem getting it far enough away from the subject. I don't use it on a copy stand, and find the long focal length to be a blessing. The big problem I've had with close up photography in the past has been that the lens is so close to the subject that it interferes with providing the kind of lighting I want. This is definitely not a problem with the Sigma 105 Macro!

Afterword: Thanks for your help, everyone, particularly Bill Keane.

Report: I bought the Sigma 50/2.8. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It will mount and meter on everything from the Nikon FM to the d40, and was cheap enough to get right now without breaking the bank. Though I've not tested absolute sharpness yet, I've taken trials of the sorts of things I need to shoot and the results are exactly what I need. So far the optical quality seems comparable to my older work with the borrowed Nikkor. Full marks to Sigma there.

The physical build quality isn't quite that of the current Nikon 60mm, but that's not surprising considering the huge price difference. On the other hand it is very good, and certainly nothing to complain about - it feels reasonably pleasant to use. The Sigma is actually much better mechanically than the Nikkor I used to borrow (whatever that was).

Based on these initial impressions I'd not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with the same requirements I have. If it was only for my own use I'm sure the classic AI manual Nikkor would be even better, but this will be easier for my girlfriend to learn to use - it's her PhD after all :-)

Thanks again.