new flash doesnt work with D50

david_arslanian

Hello. I just got my first external flash today. Its a Sunpak 433N. I hooked it

up to my camera, everything turns on. but when i go to take a picture while that

flash is in, it will not take a picture no matter what. I press it half way and

it auto focuses but wont take a picture. Same thing in Manual focus.

Can you return the flash and get an SB600 or even SB400? Sb800 would be best, but is

pricey. You will NOT regret it. When you attatch an iTTL flash to the D50 it becomes part of

the camera, they work together MARVELOUSLY! Virtually all third-part flashes will not work

well with it.

Unfortunately you will need to return the Metz flash, as it can not be made to work with your D50. As Juan noted, it is intended for Nikon <u>film</u> cameras only. The only flash exposure mode available on the 433 is TTL (film based) control. There is no manual mode, and there is no auto thyrister non-TTL Auto mode (both of which would allow limited use with the D50). You need a flash compatible with <u>i</u>TTL exposure control.<div>00KMv2-35525384.jpg.6df114df8b96a92baf8f0ffe204d2afe.jpg</div>

Read your D50 Manual, and see what flashes are compatible with it, then get one recommended. The SB-800 is the best for your D50.

With some limitations you could also use SB-600, and newer SB-400.

I would hesitate to recommend 3rd party flashes that claim to be iTTL Nikon compatible, but it you know their limitations and do not want to explore full potential of the Nikon CLS, you can consider them.

I don't think the SB400 will work in manual mode with any camera except the D40. But in iTTL is will work the D50 and other Nikon DSLR camera's. I do not own one but that is the way the spec read. The enclosed is from BHPhoto.

Key Features

? Multiple Flash Exposure Modes

i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash with compatible cameras (e.g. D40)

Manual Flash with D-40 only