W NW Nice Nocti Portrait

seb v.

The thing that strikes me about Seb's photo is the formality of it, almost 18th century painterly. If there is more information in the negative, a good printer could really do something with it.

Your photo is the opposite in style.

The two make a great contrast.

The original version is rather nice - reminds me a little of working with large format polaroid.

Sorry Alex, I know you were working from a small web jpeg but the two revisions you posted

are a classic example of how to take all the 'art' out of something.

It is heartening to know that certain members of our affuluent society can spend

approximately $12,000 on hardware with absolutely no justification, as evinced by this very

example above.

More $ than sense rings true.

If you are so rich, why aren't you smart?

Pico, this thread is about a very nice picture taken by Seb. If you care to start some other

kind of rational discussion elsewhere, please do. I am very saddened if your comment is

representative of a broader group here. And if so, I'll quietly go elsewhere. Not that it

matters to you, but I would encourage you to tread a little lighter on the feelings of others

and understand the facts of the matter before putting your foot in your mouth.

Seb, my apologies. It's a great photograph. Just as you made it. I think everyone here,

mostly, were simply trying to help make it an even "better" photograph. This forum should

be about constructive critique and information sharing, neither coddling mediocrity or

demorilizing our spirit. As Ian so rightly pointed out, sometimes it's possible to ruin what

was already special to begin with--losing all recognition of it's original meaning and

character. Technical perfection can be rather boring sometimes if you ask me. Andy