Proper Filter For Street Lights

craig_sander

Which filter(s) would be the correct one to use for high pressure or low

pressure sodium vapor streetlights?

I am trying to take some pictures of an old bridge near my house, and the

streetlights are wreaking havoc with my shots. I tried using Tungsten balanced

film, but that only turned the orangish light cast to a green.

Has anyone had any luck converting the low (deep orange) or high (peach color)

sodium vapor lights into a neutral color?

Thanks so much.

The orange lights are high pressure sodium vapor, and the spectrum is a little broader than the pure yellow of sodium in the chemistry lab. I have tried Daylight, Tungsten and custom white balance with a DSLR, with little success.

IMO, the best approach is to shoot in B&W - my ultimate solution even with a DSLR.

The orange lights are high pressure sodium vapor, and the spectrum is a little broader than the pure yellow of sodium in the chemistry lab. I have tried Daylight, Tungsten and custom white balance with a DSLR, with little success - there is very little blue in the spectrum.

IMO, the best approach is to shoot in B&W - my ultimate solution even with a DSLR.

Those responses cover it pretty well. To paraphrase: you can't get there from here. Because the spectrum is discontinuous and has such a narrow band of colors, you're going to be stuck with those colors or have to resort to black and white.

You might be able to do some post-exposure processing (i.e., in Photoshop or similar) to improve color rendition, but it will be difficult I think. I just accept the weird colors in night shots with artificial lights, as part of the charm of shooting at night...

You should find some information about what filters to use in your film's datasheet. It kinda depends on the film.

<br>

<a href="http://www.wireheadarts.com/blog6.html">I've blogged about this</a>....

<br>

I don't think you can get a normal look if there's a combination of the high and low pressure sodium vapor streetlights. Even if you correct for high pressure sodium vapor lights, the low pressure ones will still mess with your colors.