Noct-Nikkor price?

cham_saranasuriya

I can't imagine why people would spend this much on a lens, unless the lens were in mint collector condition. I remember when the Noct was going for around $1100, and even now I think it's way too much for a 50mm lens. I couldn't walk around the city taking photos with this lens, I'd be worried about scratching it, or worse, losing it. A lens at this price is for putting in a glass case and looking at every now and then, not using. Or you could take out a rider on your insurance for the lens, I suppose. It's insane. And by the looks of it, there are so few for sale lately on the used market, people are hanging on to them.

Anyone here use one regularly and have a gallery you can share? I'd love to see this lens vs. a Zeiss 50mm f1.4.

Dave

Dave,

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a lens either, even for a Noct Nikkor. But I disagree with you when you say "A lens at this price is for putting in a glass case and looking at every now and then, not using."

I think it would be a shame buying any lens or camera and then not use it for its intended purpose, which is taking pictures. It's like having a sports car in your garage and never take it out for a spin in case you scratch the bumper. I know people who collect classic cars and only take them out for a ride once a year on a sunny Sunday afternoon. And I also know people who will take a 1960s classic on a race circuit and really go for it lap after lap.

I have taken out insurance on all my camera equipment, so I don't have to worry. It's not that expensive at all and it gives me peace of mind.

regards

Jan

If you got the money Cham, there's one on Ebay for 3600.00 "Buy it Now" from a pretty reputable Japanese store. There is also one in Australia for a starting bid of 1000.00. Worth it if you can afford it. You can do a google search and find sample photos made with this lens.

I guess its all relative. If I was loaded I'd buy whatever I wanted. Let me see, I'd get a 300/2, 58/1.2, 28/1.4, Leica M8 and few lenses to go with it ... I think I fell asleep. Don't wake me, I'm about ready to buy a Prevost coach with a 600HP DDEC, DLP big screen ...

I've got a bunch of pictures taken with the Noct-Nikkor on my flickr stream.

These were taken with an AI lens:

Flickr Search

These were taken with an AIS lens:

Flickr Search

It's an amazing lens. Very sharp at f1.2 from close focus to infinity, and very low levels of CA even at f1.2.

I also have a Canon 50/1.0L (which rarely sells for under $3500) and the Noct-Nikkor is better in every way except for lack of AF.

You can see more pics taken with the AI and AIS lenses over here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor/pool/tags/58mmf12noctai/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor/pool/tags/58mmf12noctais/

I've owned the 85mm f1.4 af-d. It is sharper at f1.4 than the noct-nikkor at f1.2 when shooting subjects less than about 10 feet away. After a distance of 10-15ft, the 85mm f1.4 af-d gets softer and softer as the subject distance increases.

The Noct-Nikkor is special because of its consistency. It is sharp at f1.2 at almost every distance till infinity. I've used other fast normal lenses and they were all soft wide open at infinity. These other lenses were: 50mm f1.2 ais, zeiss 50mm f1.4 planar ZF, canon ef 50mm f1.4, nikon 50mm f1.4 af-d.

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I think this is my first time posting to this forum. Hello........

I have a Nikkor 50mm f 1.2 lens. I'm interested in buying a Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 lens. I know from what I've

read the Noct lens is more than very good. My question is, how do I know it's a NOCT Nikkor lens vs a standard

Nikkor 58 mm 1.2 ? Doee it have stamped into the metal Noct Nikkor?

Please respond to my email directly because I rarely visit this forum... My email address is

jamminjunglejim@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch,

JJJ

• 3 years later...
<p>I have been using my Nikkor noct reguarly, everywhere, since I bought it in New York in 1983. I recently had it checked and cleaned by Nikon Berlin, and it is in perfect working order and superb cosmetic condition. If you take care of a lens it will take care of your photos. They literally do not make them like that any more.</p><div>00a2Cx-443729584.jpg.6e3f0f53b7fcd9f7ad0371bf332e9b91.jpg</div>