Best portable flash pro solution?

steve_candy

I'm planning to buy a portable kit of flash units. I need around 2.000W in total

(let?s say two 1.000W heads) that can be as easy as possible be transported from

my studio to location. Fashion, portrait and interiors are the main use for this

lighting equipment.

Is it better a solution of generator+lamps or what about the more compact

all-in-one models?

So far I'm oriented on these 3 brands:

Speedotronic (on the economic side)

Elinchrom (on higher quality)

Profoto (on higher quality)

Other brand with fantastic price/quality ratio?

Opinions and suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

s

By the way Speedotrons are very high quality lights. Interms of quality of light, there is

proably only about a 10% difference in light quality betwen any of the top brands and that

includes Paul C. Buff White Lightning and Alien Bees and Profoto Acute 2 on the low end all

the way up to Broncolor's Verso or Grafit systems, and Profoto's 7 and D4 systems on the

high end.

I don't work for a manufacturer, but I have to tell you I have seen and used light from Various systems... and Bron and Profoto light is much more than 10% better. Is it worth the price...for you to determine. I borrowed my friend's Profoto actute system from a shoot and posted my pix as usual to a critique board. The first comments were about the light quality...and I didn't tell them that I wasn't using my own Elinchrom lights (not a bad light). Don't fool yourself there is a world of difference and if you can afford it then go for the top of the line. In the fiscal realities we all face, get the best you can afford...I voted elinchrom, which is a decent price in canada since importer and retailer are the same.

Peter

I don't work for any manufacturer, dealer or distributor.

I was speakign of raw light quality. For photographing people these days I prefer to work

with Profoto too.

But what you do with light, : where you place it, how you light, how you modify the light,

and what you modify the light with has a much bigger impact than raw light quality.

I've worked with Alien Bees (only the ABR800 ring-flash), Balcar, Broncolor, Comet, Dyna-

Light, Elinchrom, Godard, Norman (P2000 and 200B), Profoto (Acute, Acute 2, D4 and Pro

5 ) and Speedotron Blackline. overthe past 25 years I've owned, or rented a mix of this

stuff.

if you can tell me what shots were lit with what

gear I'll be happy to play that guessing game with you.

Thanks Ellis. I am still learning...slow learning curve. For me Profoto is the best...not the least for its retaining system!

I am sure I couldn't guess which light is which, I just know from using the gear myself with my cameara and profoto is sweet.

Peter

• 1 year later...
I have a question. I own two Hensel 500 PRO plus, I was thinking of getting a generator and or battery for them for location photography, I friend of mine told me that there is an issue concerning the number of flashes you can get from a battery before it gets low on power ? Which brand would be the better one, giving the most flahes at say full power ?