What kind of lighting is this guy using for headshots?

I found a photography site and I'm trying to figure out what kind of lighting

the photographer is using. Here's the site URL:

http://www.hollywoodhillsheadshots.com/

I'm pretty sure all the pics are natural daylight, but would anyone be able to

tell me if he seems to be using flash or white reflectors too? Judging by the

catch lights there seems to be a light source below the models' eyes, as well

as a blue sky above.

Very curious. Thanks!

He's using diffused lighting - most likely from a window light - and lots of reflectors. Could

also be using some fill flash. That site is a bit overdone. Sort of a "because I can " kind of

website....

Most website design is inspired by MTV - not clean, clear examples of good design. I will

admit to being a bit of a crumudgeon on that, coming from a family connection to a

traditional magazine background.

It looks like reflectors or soft boxes from the side and below (see images 17-22 or so), and you can see the setup in the eyes. Very basic stuff. The other thing contributing to the look is the shallow DOF, probably with a slight telephoto.

Is this the guy who shoots headshots in his garage? The catch lights look like it on some of the shots: a square patch of blue in the background (open garage door?), some shiny white/gray spots in the foreground (concrete floor?), a dark shadow right in the middle that could be a crouching photographer.

What sets these images apart from other, typical headshot work, is perfect exposures, control of the lighting contrast range and impeccable post production... and lots of it. I noticed some of the subjects nostrils show a warm, orange light inside them... probably from reflectors, but maybe because they are really demons :^)... t

I agree with the garage hypothesis, at least for some of the shots. Very even lighting with softboxes or reflectors on top and bottom, or left and right. I also agree with Tom - excellent exposure, post-production. And with Michael - shallow depth of field.

I think it's hilarious that you guys are annoyed by catchlights that are created by natural (not strobe) light. <p>I love seeing trees and windows and various real objects reflected in the subjects eyes and in still life objects. Lately I have been trying to get more real light in my portraits and still lifes. It lends an effect that is impossible to analyze, but easy to accept... unless you're an equipment obsessive photographer who reduces every appealing portrait to the piece of equipment that will allow them to copy it. <p>If these effects were done in studio, I'll bet those same photographers might be scrambling to figure out which ringlight, octabank, reflector, scrim or cookie would enable them to get the same effect. <p>Nothing seems more sterilizing and artificial to me than a single rectangular catchlight, or the mechanical robot looking catchlight from a ringlight reflected in the eyes. <p>While I use standard modifiers every day, it's a matter of commercial convenience. My personal preference is for a less standard, even unique effect, that is only obtainable with a real environmental shaping of the light, adding specific creative components into the mix, when required by the nature of the work. <p> Atypical techniques deliver atypical results. This HollyWoodHills guy certainly has a distinctive (and apparently successful) style, regardless of catchlight popularity... t

Looks very similar to Kevin Major Howard's style. He uses garage door light and a reflector. I prefer this photographer's style more though. I wish I could bring myself to shoot more portraits in the landscape orientation. I rellay enjoy them when other photographers present images that way. I just can't seem to get it right. Oh, looking at catchlights as a clue to lighting can be misleading as I routinely modify, add or delete catchlights in my photos.

• 3 months later...