Paris & Brussels

Take in one of the street markets on a Sunday - mine favourite is the one in rue Moufftard.

I've never really liked Montmartre, too many tourists - it can be a bit like a piece of Disney in the city - but the view from infront of the church can be spectacular on a clear day.

As others have said Paris is a compact city so you can walk most of the time.

If you're on Ile St Loius, as well as trying the chocolate try an ice cream from the Bertillon shop (in fact there are several on the island). It's the best ice cream I've ever had.

I'd take the 35mm. It the lens I use most when I lived there.

Yep I would suggest taking lotsa films (8 a day is a starting point).

"France has only had a stable democracy for the past 30-40 years, and it took De Gaulle to get it"

Errr... make that "this country has been far too quiet for the last 40 years or so..." (except for the riots of last year). A good popular revolution is sth every country needs once in awhile!

Fred, you made a great point.

France, at least Paris, doesn't seem so much a country as a cross road, perhaps a healthier kind of entity. I was thinking that just yesterday, listening to a French pop singer whose band, though essentially Americanoid, had a distinct Middle Eastern flavor every now and then (rai), as well as some hip hop and (puke) smooth jazz.