steve_phillips3

Apple has added camera RAW support to Mac OS X for these cameras with their

10.4.9 operating system update of yesterday. This is of course interesting to

those of us who use Mac's, but I also find it interesting for Pentaxians in

general since it is a faster response to new models from Pentax than has been

seen before, especially for the K10D. Perhaps a good sign for Pentax generally

from a sales/marketing perspective.

Steve

The added raw support, for the 3 Pentax dslr's and several other cameras, is of course for users of Aperture.

I say this not to nitpick, but because your thread title incorporates the term "Camera Raw." That's an Adobe product, and it's very easy to get confused.

/s/ Easily Confused :-)

<< ... but I believe it will also work with iPhoto and any other application that uses the definition file from the OS. Do you know otherwise? ... >> <p>

No, I don't. And I look fwd to seeing what your tests show. I'd be pleased to be mistaken in what I said.<p>

I based my earlier post on <a href=http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305121>this page</a>, which is specific in its reference to "many benefits for Aperture."

I tested it tonight. I don't know why Apple highlights Aperture - perhaps they assume most users interested in RAW format would be using Aperture. But the update is a standard update to what they call the "Digital Camera RAW" support of the OS. My K100D RAW files now work with iPhoto and Preview. I haven't yet tried Aperture since I don't have any Aperture-capable hardware at the moment.

Steve

<< ... I don't know why Apple highlights Aperture ... >>

Well, I $u$pect there are rea$on$ why ... :-)

Meantime, very good to learn that the raw converter is more global in its operation.

And going back to your statement in your first post, I'm hopeful that the faster pick-up of Pentax does signal more awareness -- not so much because I'm pro-Pentax, but because I believe that consumers are helped by a competitive market with a number of companies (not just 2) offering dslr's worthy of serious consideration.

Thanks -