1D Mk III: ISO 6400 after Neat Image

yakim_peled1

ok, 6400 is pretty impressive. However, we are only seeing the III and without neat image, is

this really SUCH a testament to the camera/software/etc or more to neat image...? Is Canon

going to include NI in the purchase of the camera body? I doubt.

According to the EXIF data, this was shot at ISO 6400, image is 3888x2592 (10 MP), 1/800 at f/8, 100mm, +1/3 exposure, standard scene capture, 1DM3, exposed on 2/23/2007.

I wonder if there is *any* chance this camera will sell for close to USA$ 3000 later this year? Wow.<div>00K9bp-35240084.jpg.e7e42df96c1a088b3172017d0b19135c.jpg</div>

Anthony Rhoades wrote, "Ok, 6400 is pretty impressive. However, we are only seeing the III and without neat image, is this really SUCH a testament to the camera/software/etc or more to neat image...? Is Canon going to include NI in the purchase of the camera body? I doubt."

Um, Neat Image starts at 29 bucks (and goes up to $75 for the Pro-plus edition).

I'm guessing that anyone who springs for a $4000 camera can spare an extra 29 bucks if they're not happy with the standard output at 6400....

Um, Neat Image starts at 29 bucks (and goes up to $75 for the Pro-plus edition).

I'm guessing that anyone who springs for a $4000 camera can spare an extra 29 bucks if

they're not happy with the standard output at 6400....

Um, yeah. That isn't the point. The impressiveness of the image shot with camera X and

then run through neat image is the impressive part.. Not this camera. Plus, the standard

output at 100 iso...still needs NI and even then. Because something looks better doesn't

mean it looks good.

I'll also add, having shot extensively with the IIds, I was/am disappointed. This doesn't

look much better IMO. I also agree that it doesn't look good by any means...., but I still

shoot film unless otherwise directed. The 'point me to something else for that price' is

moot too when you can spend 20-30k and still get unsatisfactory results.

My clients are crazy for saving every dollar and every shot.

A smaller sensor with great auto focus will give me

a lower quality shot. I really think a great body like this camera

has shouldn't get such a small chip. I can see it in the

thermometer on the upper right.

I dont like the quality of it.

We have to keep in mind that high ISO images always look better when there is enough light available to guarantee short exposure times.

The test and its results are only relevant to low-light sports. 1/800 at f/8 @ ISO 6400 means there is enough light available to shoot 1/90 at f/5.6 @ ISO 400. That's a lot of light, even w/o an IS lens.. the use of ISO 6400 in such a situation seems contrived to me, beyond the realm of telephoto sports shooting.

Granted, sports is probably the primary market for this camera. But for people doing true low-light photography (inside churches, etc), this data is not useful. What does it look like at EV0? That would be f/1.4 at 1/60 @ ISO 6400. Probably pretty bad. ISO is just gain on the photosites, and the longer the shutter is open, the more noise accumulates.

Like I said, I know it's primarily a sports camera. But every time Canon releases a camera, they show off their great "high ISO" qualities, and it's just a setup for disappointment in true low light scenarios.<div>00K9oW-35244184.jpg.d47829516f2d724429bb95f418291905.jpg</div>