Ballhead Upgrade

anesh

I use Manfrotto/Bogen 055CLB legs with a 486RC2 ballhead. I would like to

upgrade the head and I'm thinking of the 322RC2 grip action. I shoot portrait

and landscape and my heaviest lens on a Canon 30D will be a 100-400L. I want an

easy to use head that won't slip. Any suggestions?

322RC2 is a very versatile head, I use one since a couple of months. Perhaps it is a bit on the light side for a 100-400L. Your queston suggests that you have a problem with slip of the head. Isn't the 486RC2 adjustable in that respect (the 322 and 222 action grip heads are). Another head to consider is the Manfrotto 410 geared head. Not as fast to adjust as a 322/222 but it won's slip and it can be adjusted very precisely.

Check out the Really Right Stuff Ballheads. I use, and am very happy with, their BH55 which

holds everything including Canon's 500 mm. They also make a smaller, lighter head, that

should be more than enough for yur 100-400.

I like the Slik professional heads, myself.

I use the Slik SBH Ball Heads and am extremely happy with their build and performance. These heads are part of Slik's professional series. They come in three (3) sizes. The SBH-280, SBH-320, and the SBH-550 the largest of which will carry a load of up to 22 pounds.

Besides being extremely well built and reliable what I really love is their design. They all operate flawlessly with a SINGLE oversized knob. When the head is released, not only does the ball portion of the head move freely, the main body encasing the head can turn on its base for quick and easy movement as well. This design makes it the most easy to use ball head ever! I highly recomend one of these great heads.

Now if I could just find a reliable Quick Release for my heads I'ld be set.

ReallyRightStuff BH-40 with quick release clamp. Then also get custom CR plates for your camera(s) and the 100-400's foot. I switched from that piece of junk CR2 plate and clamp and haven't regretted it at all. For fast portrait to landscape switching consider a L-bracket CR plate. I put one on my 20D and like it so much I haven't removed it since. RRS's gear costs, but it is well worth it in quality and durability.

<a href="http://www.reallyrightstuff.com">http://www.reallyrightstuff.com</a>