430 EX with my 400d(rebel xti).

1. How to use flash in Av mode? (in practice I saw that whether the flash is

on, camera chooses shutter speed only acc to aperture setting and lights the

flash even if sh. speed is 1 sec.)

2. How to use High-Speed Sync (HSS). Flash has a special button for activating

this feature, does my cam support it?

3. Do I have to turn on 2d curtain sync on camera or turning of it on the

Flash unit is enough?

Big thanks for all EOS-people for kind replies.

Dimi3

<blockquote><i>1. How to use flash in Av mode? (in practice I saw that whether the flash is on, camera chooses shutter speed only acc to aperture setting and lights the flash even if sh. speed is 1 sec.)</i></blockquote><p>

The flash and the ambient light are balanced about 1:1 in aperture priority. You alter this by changing the flash exposure compensation and the regular exposure. A good starting point if flash should be your main lighting is flash at +2/3 and ambient at -2/3 stops. Good flash technique is one of the most overlooked photographic skills, for starters read a bit about <b><a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-82.html">diffused fill flash</a></b>.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>2. How to use High-Speed Sync (HSS). Flash has a special button for activating this feature, does my cam support it?

</i></blockquote><p>

Yes. When you get pretty fast shutter speeds (above 1/125 sec) you can turn on the high speed sync to have correct flash exposure even at... 1/2000 sec or so.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>3. Do I have to turn on 2d curtain sync on camera or turning of it on the Flash unit is enough?</i></blockquote><p>

I think this is a custom setting on the camera.

Settings on the flash (e.g. second curtain sync or flash exposure compensation) override those made on the camera. Camera settings are provided for some flash units that lack specific controls.

You can leave high speed sync permanently set of you like - the camera will revert to X sync at shutter speeds of 1/200th or slower. However, bear in mind that because the flash has to provide continuous output while the shutter curtains are moving in HSS mode, range is much reduced.

If you really want maximum control, you should use M exposure mode so that you control the ratio of ambient to flash light in your exposure. The Photonotes article repays reading and re-reading - it is kept up to date as details of new cameras and flashes become known, so it is always worth checking if you have any questions about flash.

Thanks. That`s getting more a nd more interesting. That`s try that I`m new to EOS flash photography and I must get used to it. When I use my Contax G1 with the TLA200 unit - everything is very simpe: I just have to set the desired aperture setting and camera does other things itself.