Using a Ladder at a Wedding

www.withheart.ca

I'm thinking of purchasing a ladder to shoot groups and other formals at my

next wedding. What size do you find most useful? For obvious reasons that

smaller the ladder the better. :)

Also,is there any advice about logistics that you'd like to offer? I have an

assistant and drive a Camry with pull down seats and a huge trunk.

Thanks so much!

Michelle

I use a two step Werner aluminum ladder with a blue plastic top which I bought at Costco for $20. I do the bad thing and stand right on top of it but I am sure as I get more decrepit I will have to resort to the kind that has the guard rail, so as not to injure myself or others. I rigged a strap on it so I can put it over my shoulder folded. The reason for no guard rail is that I sometimes use it as a posing stool. I pulled off all the stickers on it but it is still an eyesore in the backgrounds of images so I'm a little careful of where I put it.

Not sure what you mean by logistics. I work alone so everything I use has got to be transportable, preferably in one trip, by me.

We picked up a low cost aluminum step ladder at a local home center. I added wheels on one set of legs mounted so that they will only touch the ground when the step ladder is folded up.

I mounted a shelf on the back side with a couple of bunge cords I have a wheeled cart to transport all of our equipment cases for every wedding.

Total investment - under $30.

Sort of like the following:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72753.asp?source=Dealtime&keyword=72753&cm_ven=NewGate&cm_cat=Dealtime&cm_pla=HOME%20SOLUTIONS&cm_ite=72753

I use my two step ladder for most formals since I'm small and shooting from above flatters. I also use it for a few shots at the reception, especially wide shots of the dance floor from above. It can get a little dangerous there though. I agree about the eysore point. As hard as I try to tuck the ladder in some corner, it always end up in a few shots. Kids love it too!

I leave mine folded up when I am not using it. This makes it less attractive to kids and prevents people from using it as a trash can or putting drinks down on it. Off camera flashes are also attractive to kids, as well as the clasps on your equipment case--can't stop using your equipment just because kids like to play with it. I need my ladder--I'm only 5'2" and don't like to shoot up people's noses.

<<Ladders are for painting houses. Do what the rest of us do, borrow a chair on which to stand.>> Bwahahah...seriously though...falling off a chair at a wedding makes you look like a real butthead. Answer me this: When is the last time you tried standing on a chair without thinking or actually saying, "Whoa whoa whoa!!!!" and wiggling...I also think it's hot when a chair actually collapses under you and the whole wedding stops to see who is on the floor, bleeding.

I recently bought a LADDERKART at Adorama and I have been knocked out by it. It's like $60, but it's well-built, folds up nicely and doubles as a cart for up to 250lbs. One of the main things I like about it though is that it has side rails that you can anchor your ankles against as well as lean up against the front so you can get much more stable than with a regular ladder. Nice big rubbery wheels that roll beautifully. Oh and it has a REALLY nice squishy handle. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

3 step folding aluminium ladder with wide (i.e. deep) steps.

Wide top step, twice the size of the steps like a small table (never stand on it).

I understand tradesmen use this type of ladder`s top step as a adapted work bench, it rests just about navel height.

On top platform I have mounted two (diagonally opposite) quick release tripod plates which double as mounts for flash heads / brackets / umbrellas / reflector frames and monorails for view camera.

I have adapted a (once leather belt), now Velcro strap for carriage and also securing two tripods and up to two umbrellas to the sides, when the ladder is folded.

A very compact and reasonably light weight unit.

WW