New Olympus E-system bodies and lenses

philg

<p>

Olympus has introduced a new 10-megapixel body, the E-510, with sensor-based

image stabilization. Unlike any other digital SLRs, many Olympus bodies,

including this one, offer a live preview on the rear LCD. The E system has the

potential to be great, since it is the only small sensor digital SLR system with

a lens mount and range of lenses optimized for the smaller sensor. Sadly,

Olympus has not come up with a wide range of high quality lenses. Today Olympus

has announced the addition of two additional cheap slow zoom lenses, a

14-42/3.5-5.6 (28-85 film equivalent) and 40-150/4-5.6 (80-300 equivalent). A

slow lens coupled with a smaller sensor, which will have higher noise than the

full-frame or even APS-C sensors in Canon and Nikon bodies, is not a winning

combination for indoor use.

</p>

<p>

Everything will ship in June for around $1000 (body plus the two kit lenses).

More: <a

href="http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_PressDetails.asp?pressNo=531">press

release</a>.

</p>

Yes, many would love some smaller f2 primes, but the system is far from void of first class lenses now and there are USM-type lenses on the way..something conspicuously absent from the above announcement. Feel free to check those out here:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2007a/nr070305edeve.cfm

And these new lenses will work with any Olympus digital SLR, not just the new pro E model.

Myself, I plan to continue having a lot of fun with this new body and my 7-14 as I have up to now..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/74908416-L.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/75771878-L.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1207184#122785446

*Unlike any other digital SLRs, many Olympus bodies, including this one, offer a live preview on the rear LCD*

The Fuji S3 Pro has it too.

I expect that the rationale behind the 4/3 format is that most images get cropped to that shape anyway, so they can make the sensor smaller... but IMO that thinking is seriously flawed. The enthusiasts who buy into digital systems today are much better informed than those who bought the excellent (for its day) Olympus E10 and now understand the importance of pixel/sensor size over number of pixels.

• 2 weeks later...

-- "Sadly, Olympus has not come up with a wide range of high quality lenses."

Sadly, such comments should be derived through experience, rather than hearsay.

The digital zuikos are VERY competent lenses. Their 50-200/2.8~3.5 lens beats everything Canon and Nikon has in that zoom range. Their 7-14/4 is wider, better corrected, and sharper than anything Nikon and Canon has for their DSLRs, fullframe or other wise. Their f/2 (constant) zooms are faster than anything Canon/Nikon has, and they have now even introduced "AFS/USM" focusing "motors" on some of their lenses (their kit lenses also beat Canon/Nikon's offering).

Olympus has a growing system, and with Pentax-- are now becoming the new kid on the Digital block to look at, rather than the marginal improvements Canon/Nikon have been announcing in the last 2 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I beleived "if I am not wrong" that one of the main advantages of the Olympus system is the small size of the camera and possibly the lens system. However after I cheked the specifications of some lenses, to my surprise they are even larger and heavier than the "full frame" lenses of canon in the same category. eg; Olympus 7-14 f4.0 seems to be larger and heavier than both Canon's 16-35 f2.8 and 17-40 f4.0. Same seems to be true about Olympus 35-100 f2.0 compared to Canon's 70-200 f2.8L.

PS; I don't have a canon system.

It would be nice if they were cheaper too, but they aren't.

The optics and cameras are nice, but I just don't see any advantage to the 4/3 system over APS-C or Full frame digital in terms of size or price, which is what would give it some traction. As it is now it feels like it's spinning its wheels.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys can offer comments on products you don't

have any real trigger time with. I shoot Nikon as well as a Leica/Panasonic/Olympus

4/3rds system. Yes, smaller sensors generally create more noise at higher iso's however,

their are fast lenses available for this system from both Leica and Olympus. It's a great

system capable of producing great images.

When the action is fast; the Nikon system meets my needs. The 4/3rds system (Leica and

Lumix bodies) for a slower, more focused approach to photography.

Without first hand experience, why offer opinions?

Dave

Get either the Leica or Panasonic 4/3rds bodies in your hands and you'll see what I mean. For me it's a 'take it slower' approach to capturing images. Probably in part to the cameras film like controls and layout. I'm speaking specifically about the Leica Digilux 3 and Lumix LC-1 cameras. For me it's my way of relaxing and capturing images for myself. I tend to associate my (wonderful) Nikon gear with stress and deadlines.

Regards,

Dave