Nikon 70-300VR Question

rafikrkamel

Hello everyone,

I just got the 70-300 VR 2 days ago, and would like to inquire about something

regarding the operation of the VR itself.

when the VR is turned on, it takes like 3-4 seconds from when it starting

humming (when the vr kicks in) until it stops that humming. even though i can

see that the picture has stabilized in the viewfinder from like a second after

it kicks in and i can take the shot. my question is this time span normal for

the vr to kick in? or not?

please let me know, and if u need any more explanations please let me know,,

Thank u.

Rafik

Rafik, Besides the question on the VR, What are your thoughts on this lens. I am interested in it and would like feed back from owners of the Nikon 70-300VR zoom lens on its plus and minuses. I hope to have the money for this lens in about 1 month.

thanks gerald n tom, tom i havent tested it thoroughly yet. just played around with it. tommorow or after i ll do some sharpness tests from a tripod (using vr on and off) n put the af speed into the test, then i ll let u know, deal?

by the way i am getting it mainly for birds, what will u use it for?

Rafik

I have a bird feeder outside our kitchen window and hoping to get a blind to get shots of wood ducks on a small stream close to where I live. Last year there were four pairs in the same area using the creek and back water. I am not a professional by no means but hope to also use it for had held shots at wedding rehearsals and receptions for the bride and groom. I burn them a CD to do what ever they want. I have had great success with my 50/1.8 but I do not have a long zoom. I will be checking back for your test results.

It hums the whole time it's on ("kicked in") as you can see in your viewfinder. Are you sure when it stops humming that the VR hasn't turned off?? You will hear a click when the VR turns off. 4 seconds sounds about right, b/c that's roughly how long the meter stays on by default, and the VR only operates while the meter is active. Touch the shutter button again and it should start humming (working) again and should be ready to shoot immediately.

I have had my VR 70 to 300 for about 2 months. It is a US import purchased from Ritz for $509 with shipping. These are my limited test results:

1) VR comes on instantly ---

2) VR makes no sound ---

3) The lens is exceedingly sharp between 70 and 250 mm and drops to sharp at 300 ---

4) At 300 the lens is sharpest wide open, at 6.7 then f11 ---

5) At 300 mm can be held by hand to 1/15 sec ---

6) At 300 and very low hand held shutter speeds ( 1/10 to 1/60 ) it is best to take 3 exposures and pick the sharpest ---

7) At 70 to 250 all stops are exceedingly sharp to f13 and there is no need for extra exposures at low speeds.

The lens is capable of completely professional results in a light, small package.

Just bought. Not yet tested, just some photos but nothing interesting.

The first impression is that VRII works very good. Not drop of light at the corner also using all opened. Very clear images, and very compact lens. I think that is a good lens, usefull in all cases in wich I need a compact lens (for travel, animals, nature photos). Of course not comparable (I think) with professional lenses but very good in my opinion. I have to test more doing a lot of photos.