Any good Vuescan version recently?

The current version (8.4.12) of Vuescan doesn't work on my Nikon Coolscan 8000.

It cannot properly scan the second frame of a 120 strip. Does anybody know a

good version after 8.4.03? 8.4.03 was mostly ok, but IR cleaning seemed slightly

inferior to some of the older versions. Thanks.

I have the latest Vuescan version and the Nikon 9000, and had trouble getting the 2nd and 3rd frames scanned on a 3 frame strip of 6 by 6 images. But the solution was simple, thanks to another photo.net member. Set everything to auto. Scan the first frame. Then, scan the 2nd with a frame offset of -40. For the 3rd frame, I found an offset of -60 worked. Each scan covers a 6 by 9 area. So, I just crop to get the part of the 6 by 6 that I want. I know this solution isn't elegant, but at least I was able to sleep at night when I got it to work! If only Mr. Hamrick could get his software to automatically recognize the beginning and end of a frame.

Craig, thanks for reporting your problem. I'm not alone I guess.

Gene, I'd like to know this, too.

Many versions prior to Sept or Oct last year couldn't properly autofocus the 2nd or 3rd frame of a 6x6 strip on the Nikon 8000. I was very happy when a update solved this problem, but then I discovered that IR cleaning was worse.

Tonight is my scanning night, and so far 8.4.03 has been working great. IR is so-so in this version but the strips I'm scanning tonight are very clean.

<p>I know this doesn't solve the OP's issue directly, but may help down the road. Vuescan is good value for the money but it should come with a warning label. Ed Hamrick is constantly upgrading/modifying/improving the product, and with so many releases, and so many scanners supported, that's going to result in some things breaking for some people in almost every revision. Thus, some special rules for Vuescan useage.</p>

<p>1. Always, always, always <b>maintain a fall-back copy of the last version which worked well with your scanner</b>.</p>

<p>2. Stay with a known good revision unless and until the release notes indicate a feature which directly benefits you and your scanner. And even then, see rule 1.</p>

<p>3. The author requires that you run the latest revision in order to get support for a problem. When addressing a specific problem, by all means, update to the lastest, but see rule 1.</p>

<p>4. See rule 1.</p>

<p>I don't use V'scan much these days, but even so, being a cautious sort I hold onto the last <i>two</i> working versions. I've been a user for years now, and taking this approach has saved my bacon on several occasions.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

Thanks people for information. Scott, good advice. I've been more or less doing your recommended practice, although I often forget to note what is working/broken in which version.

so far the versions that are fairly trouble free (for Nikon 8000) include,

Vuescan rev releases are frequent and furious, prompting some to call it an "eternal beta". Newer revs often broke older ones, and the documentation has not been updated for ages. It's kind of like the weather here: if you don't like the present one, just wait five minutes.

True, but let's not pick too hard; he's still providing fixes and improvements for ScanDual IIIs,

which went away a year before K-M did. Like all software, upgrade as needed only (and even

then think twice).

• 11 months later...
i contacted ed last week about getting access to older versions as the serial number i have isnt valid for his current downloadable version. he comes back with a BS answer that he doesnt keep legacy versions and if i want to use teh current version i need to buy a NEW serial number - THATS CRAP! i dont need the new version. i bought the older version which (until i formatted my machine last week) was workingperfectly. i know i SHOULD have kept my downloaded installer. - but HELL, EVERY other retail software developer have legacy downloads available (at least a few versions) - i dont know why vuescan is soooo different.