Which 50mm to keep

hughes

I have in my wheeling and dealings aquired 3 different 50mm Nikon lens and

would appreciate input on which 1 to keep. I use a D200 mostly but have a D70

and several older {much} Nikons. The choice is

1.Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS MF,

2.50mm 1.8 AF made in Japan

3.50mm 1.8 AF latest version made in China.

Figuring that condition and values are similar I am torn about which to keep.

I use several manual focus lenses on my D200 and have no problem with using MF.

Steve

I would keep the 50mm f/1.8 (non-D) Made in Japan, AF helps.

The "D" version gives no real advantage, plus its build quality is worse than the non-D version.

AI-S one is nice, but optically it's the same with its AF equivalent.

I have tried all of them, and with all of mentioned reasons, I decided to keep the AF 50mm f/1.8 (non-D)

Why did you purchase a 50mm f1.8 (MIC) when you already got 50mm f1.8 (MIJ) ? MIJ is

actually an earlier version of AF?

1) Do you use lens MF at all? If not and not going to, keep only 50 f1.8(MIJ).

2) Can't let go of better bokeh, hair fast aperture and can suffer from a bit less sharpness?

Sell all and get a 50 f1.4AFD. (if i remember correctly, 1.4 got more blades than 1.8)

(1) will still be my personal choice.

Thanks for everyone's input I was tempted to keep the AF 1.8 made in Japan but just needed some input, I wasn't sure of the difference a D made.

As for testing them I don't think so. I'm not smart enough or talented enough to tell the difference between them. I'm more interested in the one that will function better,and last longest.

The other two will be for sale on the classified along with other lenses surplus to requirements.

Cheers Steve

"I'm not smart enough or talented enough to tell the difference between them"

Steve, You have answered your question, it does not matter which one you keep. Hang on to the one you like the best, even if it is because you prefer the look.

But if you carry on dealing, I would sell the lot and buy a 50mm f1.4 AFD.

Have the 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor and 50mm f/1.2 Nikkor AI-S. They both are cool and very different from each other. Anthony is right. Keep the one you want. I have a D80 and each lens has its own "personality". My main body is a D80. Mo' lenses, Mo' fun! Enjoy.

Over the course of years, I've had the AF (MIJ), AFn (MIC), AFD (MIC). Of these, the AFD is definately the one to keep. The MIJ looks best from a distance, but looks are deceiving.

The MIC ones with the rubberized focus ring have better manual focus feel than you get from the extremely slim hard plastic ring on the MIJ. Their f22 aperture lock button is a slider, so they don't click-lock and block at unexpected moment like the MIJ.

Between the AFn anf AFD, the AFD sits somewhat tighter in the lens barrel, and therefor doesn't flop that much when the AF runs into the near or far focus limit.

I'm surprised nobody suggested the Zeiss 50ZF since you stated you like manual focus on

your D200. After numerous 50mm lenses (but not the ZF, I had enough of that during my

Contax phase!), I ended up keeping (and loving) a Nikkor 50/1.4D made in Japan. That's my

choice for the 50 you should wheel and deal to get.

The Zeiss is a killer lens. I have used it, but not YET owned it or the 85mm. I don't mind shooting in manual one bit. As a matter of fact, in low lighting or a shot where DOF is needed to be manipulated, it's a must or at least a good idea, or something to consider, or maybe not at all.