Kiron 105mm and PN-II ?

anthony_bez

Hello, I have purchased a Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro, because it receives such

praise on photo.net. Arnab has also posted some wonderful photographs that show

off the excellent way the lens renders the out of focus areas.

Now I am thinking of purchasing a PN-II because of the tripod mount. What I

would like to know is how suitable is it for use with the Kiron. And what will

I achieve with the combination. I also own a Nikon 105mm AFD and 55mm f3.5, but

I am keen to play with the Kiron.

Is the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro the "best of the best", or is it instead the 105mm f2.5 Vivitar Series 1? I thought the Vivitar S1 105mm f2.5 was Kiron's last version of your coveted prime macro and it bettered even their made for Lester A. Dine Dental 100mm and 105mm 2.8 macros too.

Lindy

Interesting Anthony. I googled thru all the Kiron pages and you might be right. The Kiron 105mm 2.8 was made in the mid 1980's before Kiron discontinued its own lens brand and the 1989-1994 Vivitar S1 105mm 2.5 do seem to spec the same, except Series 1 is 2.5 and Kiron is 2.8 and Series 1 can be 5 years newer.

I just picked up a pair of 1994 issue Series 1 105mm 2.5 brand new in their boxes. I've used Kiron made 100mm 2.8 Macro for the last 15 years and was pretty excited to buy a pair of new in box 105mm 2.5 examples: one I'll use and one I'll keep new.

Lindy

Oh yeah Anthony, I know the serial numbers on 1974-1994ish Vivitars that start with #22 are Kiron made and Vivitar and Dine never made their branded lenses. I did learn a couple things about Kiron on last nights google search: Like Kiron stopped making Kiron logo'd lenses in late 1980's to regain the Vivitar lens contract. And I didn't know the oil used on Kiron aperture blades is defective.

I'm really informed on vivitar as I own 8 dealer price lists from 1978-1995 and a couple dealer catalogues. The one from 1974 has the launch of Series 1 Line with the first 3 Series 1 lenses.

Lindy

Anthony:

PN-11 is best used with Kiron 105 (any flavor) for getting beyond 1:1. While the lens is good performer even in the non-macro focus settings, IMX it is really optimized for .25x and above. You may be tempted to use the extended WD that extension provides, in that case as long as you stay in that range (marked on lens) you'll get great results with PN-11.

Anthony:

The Kiron get to 1:1 via both built-in lens extension as well as shortening the lens' focal length at closer focus distant. For example: at 1:2, your "metering" light loss is about 1/3 stop less with the PN11 then you focus the magnification to 1:2 without the PN-11 extension. You gain about few cm (~4-5?) in working distant at 1:2 using the PN-11 extension.