MP

35mmdelux

I am a shooter, not a collector. If the MP had TTL flash ability, I might consider it, but it

does not. For the price of one MP, I have two M6TTL's with DAG flare free VF optics, black

Leica logos on the front and M3 advance levers. Not collector's items, but infinately

usable. Sure, the MP is smoother in advance, but even used a pair would be about 5K. That

is not money well spent when you are funding your own photo essays.

If you go and look at the period of time when you can see what cameras National

Geographic shooters used online, from late 2001 until early 2006, when it comes to Leica,

you will see 90% M6, the other 10% M7, no MP's. I would love an MP but much prefer the

best "Shooters" camera Leica makes: The M6 TTL.

Now...that MP 3 LHSA kit in black? Oh baby I wish someone would give me one of

those..:-)

I had an MP3 purchased from Popflash and then sold it. I didn't think the built quality was

as good as the black paint M6ttl bodies I already have. And the advance was noticably not

as smooth especially with the Rapidwinder. I ended up sending two M6TTL's to DAG for the

finder upgrade.

The MP is the MP. Simple as a Leica can be. Great finder, super quiet shutter. Black lacquer is OK if one likes it: mine is robust chrome. The rewind knob in the end proves as fast as a lever; and if you take considerate shots, you won't be changing films at such a rate. Rewind trigger and VF lever do work perfectly well. Plus, it is said to be the best made Leica ever, can work without batteries, is more compact than the M7/M6TTL and has a nice classic look.

Simply put: one can choose between M7 if he likes AE and electronic shutter, or MP if he does not; price is the same. Of course used M6's are competitors to the MP; but this is down to whether one prefers an used camera, or a new one; the new one has a complete set of improvements.

"Because the viewfinder of MP is sensibly better than M6, the best from the time of Leica M3 and the body construction is at same quality level of the Leica M2, M3, M4 and M5."

Contact me off-line. I have a very nice bridge I would like to sell you...

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra