Flashmeter that does spot metering

adzy

I am looking for a flashmeter that does spot metering for flash (about 5

degrees or less) . I know the Sekonic L-558 does it, but its expensive- atleast

350 dollars. Besides, it has the remote interface for Pocketwizard that I dont

really need and is included in the price.

Is there any other flashmeter that does it but a lesser price ?

A used Minolta Autometer IIIF, IVf or V can be used with Minolta's spot attachment. The Minolta Flashmeters can use the same, but they are more costly than the Autometers. As I recall, they have 10 and 5 degree models of this attachment.

Perusing eBay, I bought a used Vivitar 220LX meter (I think that's the model number), and then found a 1 degree attachment for it. I have considerably less than $100 into the whole thing. It's not the latest thing out there, but it has a digital display, and it does flash with the spot attachment.

The point is, if you are willing to shop around for good used equipment, you can cut your budget by quite a bit.

You might consider an used Sekonic L-508. I've had one for 8 years now, and it serves me well as a Spot/Incident/Flash meter. I have to hook up a PW manually, so the L-558 sounds pretty good to me too. Not to mention that the L-558 readings appear in the Spot viewfinder.

I'm curious why you are intent on spot metering for flash. An Incident flash reading is far easier to do, and more reliable.