Sigma 17-70mm F2,8-4.5 and sigma 105mm ex macro

robert_riverin

I own the Sigma 17-70 for my Canon 350D and have found it to be a great lens for the money. I've only had it for a couple weeks so it's not been run through the paces, but from what I have shot I've found it to be a very big step up from the kit lens.

I have the 17-70mm 2.8 for my K10D but not the 105mm. I love it , the old Kit lens now sits on my *Ist DL cause I'm missing a body cover. Macro accuracy is very tight. Low light speed is very nice.

Here's a Picture from this past weekend taken with it. I tryed to get the upload as clean as possible for ya. It's an old rotted tree trunk with a few holes in it. Unfortunately the inside of it wasn't visible after the shot. F 4.5 1/100 @ 400 ISO

If you search here and on dpreview, you will see nothing but praise for the Sigma 17-70. I also don't know if anyone makes a bad 90-105mm macro lens. I don't know just how much an issue this is for the Sigma macro, but I'll mention that the slow focus hunting on the Pentax D-FA 100mm macro hampers its usability as a fast and sharp telephoto. Too bad Pentax didn't include a focus limiter--that might have helped. Nice for its primary purpose as macro however.

-Andrew

I have the 105mm macro - it's my favorite lens - awesome for both macros and portraits - check out my porfolio for examples. The build is good, the optics are good. My only issue with it is that AF is pretty slow and often searches, but I usually ficus manually anyways, so this is not too big an issue in the end.

I have K10D and Sigma 17-70 as primary lenses. I love both of them and I would like to say that I'm completely satisfied but this is not the case yet. Truth is that my old camera was istD and now I don't have the same good feelings that I had before because I get to many soft pictures. I have to continue learning how to take maximum advantage of my equipment.