Question for lightroom experts

stephen dohring

I updated Raw settings from Sat. shoot referenceing them in their existing

location on my spare drive. I then closed the Lightroom and looked at the raws

in another program and the updates are not there. Lightroom must keep the RAW

update data but the export wil not export the updated RAWS into another folder,

are exporting as tiff's my only option for a large file?

I second shot for a pro and want to give them the updated RAW's not the out of

the camera RAW's thanks.

As far as I remember, you can't export updated RAW files, but you can send him the XMP

sidecar files along with the RAW files for him to have access to the updated

versions.<br><br>

I could be wrong, but I know that ACR will allow this and I think Lightroom does as well.

Most RAW editors that I know don't change the RAW file itself. There is always some central

data base or sidecar (xmp) file which keeps track of the adjustments.<p>

You can either hand over the RAW files with the sidecar files, or export to JPG, TIFF, or even

DNG. DNG will consolidate the RAW file and the sidecar data into a single file, but not

everybody likes to use DNG. It's not universally supported yet. <p>

I'm sure the photographer has a preference. You should ask him. I've had photographers

who wanted me to shoot JPG and hand those over and other photographers who wanted the

RAW files.

MArk and Matt thanks - yeah lightroom keeps those files in its section and the RAWs out of the camera are where I first copied them too. If your referencing another folder location on another drive it is not putting the edit file with the RAW, it keeps that on C. I can open in photoshop and then save differently. Best to get them where you want and batch to tiff. It would be great if the data was in the RAW file or attached hidden in some way but it's not.

thats not true, it will still put the XMP's with the original files, even if you change directories... You can either select the pictures and go to menu photo - XMP sidecar - synhronize sidecar files, or you can turn on an option to always update sidecar files on every edit... the files will be in the same directory than the image files