Dollar store film...

I will mos def process a couple of rolls c-41, but I have been looking for some cheap film to play around with, and develop in b+w chemicals. A dollar a roll may be as cheap as it gets.

I looked at the Agfa packaging, and it does look awful similar. Perhaps "IMAGES" brand is trying to be up-scale and identify with Agfa, or perhaps this does contain Agfa stock. Any way to see for sure if it is Ag?

here's a description of Agfa color negrative films ripped from Vuescan help file:<br><br>

Vendor - Brand Name - Film Type - Label on Film / Stripe1Color / Stripe2Color<br>

--------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - OPTIMA 125 - AGFA OPTIMA 125/GREEN SQUARE/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - OPTIMA 200 - AGFA OPTIMA 200/GRN SQUARES/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - PORTRAIT 160 - AGFA PORTRAIT 160/GREEN SQUARE/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - Ultra 50 - AGFA ULTRA 50 Triangles/NONE/GREEN<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRG 100 - AGFA XRG 100/GREEN SQUARE/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRG/XRS 200 - AFGA XRG 200 Pairs of Squares/GREEN/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRG/XRS 400 - AFGA XRG/XRS 400 Pairs of Squares/GREEN/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRS 1000 Gen 2 - AGFA XRS 100 Triplets of Squares/GREEN/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRS 400 Gen 1 - XRS 400 Gen 1/MAG SQRS/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRS 400 Gen 2 - XRS 400 Gen 2/MAG SQRS/NONE<br>

AGFA - AGFACOLOR - XRS/XRC 100 - AGFA XRS 100/GREEN SQ/NONE

I would guess that the film was loaded into previously used cartridges. That would explain different markings under each label. I donlt think you will have much fun developing this film in B&W chemicals and then printing through the heavy orange mask. There is plenty of good regular B&W film still available and it would be a lot easier to print.

More a question.

Can colour neg (C-41) be developed in B&W chems?

I've run a roll of Minocolour through ID11 out of curiosity a while ago and got solid emulsion and absolutely nothing image wise.

So i'm wondering if this can be done and the results to be expected, rough times for dev etc?

Mike

The dollar store where I bought this is just a local, non chain dollar store. I can ask the

manager where he got his stock. Maybe I could start selling this stuff on ebay! ;-)

Yes, you can develop color neg film in b+w chemicals, what I do is just look at the iso and go

from there, pretending the film was b+w. That is, for iso 400, about 9 minutes in ilfosol, for

100 about 6. I will definetly experiment.

There is an orange mast left over, but its not that hard to print. "C'mon, ya pansies!"

Uh...

I went to develop a few rolls...

Drove to the lab...

I got the negs back from the lab...

I waited and talked with them about the potential of my find...

The negs came out...

I rushed to them...

And looked at them...

...and they have absolutely NOTHING in the margins.

oh well.

A buck a roll for that stuff when you plan to develop in B&W chemicals to me sounds expensive. I buy expired 100' bulk rolls of B&W films (good brands) and it's all been perfect (even as old as 1978). I get them for $3.00 to $15.00 a bulk roll. Do the math. That's 18 rolls for that price plus a small bit for the canisters and $8.00 one time investment in a used bulk film loader. I'm getting much better film at much cheaper price per roll, and it's real B&W.

It an inexpensive way to start and practice doing C41 yourself, though. For B&W locate cheap B&W film and get better results.

Interesting --- no markings at all on edges? How did the photos come out?

I would like to start a data base of identifying film by the color of the undeveloped film. Pull another 1/2" out of the cassete and note the color of the emulsion (the leader previously exposed for a long time will change and not be as reliable indication.) compare that to other films.

The exact die shape of the sprocket holes varies by manufacture also. There seem to be slight differences on the radius of the corners of the holes.

My guess is that Agfa had some off spec runs and they were sold to the lowest bidder either cut or uncut.

If a converter purchased master rolls not yet cut and perforated into 35mm, then the edge

numbers would not have been printed. It would be up to the converter who packages the

film to expose the frame numbers, etc. A lot of cheap color C-41 film is Ferrania. I side

with the previous posts regarding just purchasing b/w film in bulk rolls, either bargain

deals or short dated. Real b/w film makes the best b/w prints, or scans.

McCluney Photo

I'm curious as to why I didn't get a thing from the Minocolor roll I developed in ID11 (11 min minocolor 400 at 20 degrees C) after reading that B&W chems could be used.

Do you dev precisely as for B&W with the same temp register 20-24degrees C? or at the C-41 temp?

Mike, I've developed some C41 in B\W and done pretty much what you are describing. I got results, so maybe there was some other problem with your film ?

20 centigrade and normal fixing. My tests have come out quite dark, so maybe I'm overdeveloping the films. If I carry on doing it, I think I'll try clip tests in something stupidly cheap like Jessop's Econodev or Caffenol.