EOS 3 or 1V

ian_cooke1

Can someone please highlight the differences between the EOS 3 and EOS 1V?<p>

Is it primarily the more durable body of the 1V?<p>

Is the control layout the same on both the 3 and the 1V and is it the same as the 1-series digital cameras?

<p>

Does the 3 have the same autofocus system as the 1V?<p>

Thank you.

I don't know if the 1V is actually more durable than the EOS 3. However the cold feel of

magnesium is way cool. However modern plastics such as polycarbonate are stronger than

many metals and tend to absorb shock rather than transmit like metals.

Yes, the control layout of both cameras is almost exactly the same. And both use the same

AF, flash and metering systems, although the 1V is supposed to be slightly faster and

mildly tweaked. Also the EOS 3 can only burn 7 frames per second whereas the 1V will do

10FPS. So a roll of fillm will last 3.6 seconds!

Canon says the EOS 3 is weather sealed at the same level as the 1N. However the 1V does

it one better and has an additional o-ring on the lens mount.

The biggest diff to me is the 1V lacks ECF, one of my fav Canon features. On a side note,

the 3 lacks an adjustable diopter and VF shutter. I had to install a -2 diopter.

With all that said, I would have bought the 1V if it had ECF. I much prefer the cold feel of

magnesium but would have missed ECF.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Another major difference, which for me was the 'killer app' that triggered a move from EOS-3 to EOS-1V in my film days, is the ability to record shooting data. For that, you need the ES-E1 kit, and that also gives access to the fine-tuning of camera behaviour provided by the Personal Functions.

A further difference is that although the -1V is not thr quietest of cameras, it is much less obtrusive than the -3.

1v=10fps

3=7fps

1v=100% veiwfinder

3= 98%

the 1v has a much better feeling structure and grip, my other favorite thing about it is the electronics it has to hook up to your computer and tell you everything you shot.

point is, if you have the extra money to spend on the 1v then get it, i got an EOS3 just because it was cheaper, and i was not dissapointed.