How does the 20D shutter die?

suman

A faulty shutter, to my knowledge, will not give you any feedback via the shutter button. You will likely only detect it in your images.

I think you're experiencing something different. Perhaps your AF mode changed or maybe you're shooting in low light and the camera is having difficulty achieving autofocus?

1st How old is your 20D? About, how many pictures have you shot?

2nd Is it possible that somebody spilt some liquid on your 20D?

3rd Is it possible that somebody dropped your 20D?

4th Is it possible that your camera was left in the car to long on a hot day and oil began to run? Now that it's winter and it's cold the oil and shutter is all gummed up?

The camera is ~2yrs old, actuation guesstimate ~5k. As far as I know, it was not dropped as for as I know, but now I am not sure about rest of the gang. Getting any liquid or anything of that sort, again can be possible since it was nto with me all the time. To William, lessons learned, sometime in guey way :(. Puppy face, I will check with Canon. Do you know how much do they charge to fix button fix type issues?

<p>By the way, I forgot to mention previously, pictures are coming out fine at all shutter speeds, so the shutter itself is not the culprit, right?</p>

Canon gives free quotes. Call them, their technical support can help troubleshoot over the phone. They will give you a quote before any service is to be done. I had battery acid leak all over my 420 EX. They clean and replaced the connectors for 98.00 which was still cheaper then a new one and they shipped it back 2nd day air. I recommend having them look at it regardless.

I think Puppy Face got it: Lots of sugared punch and possibly plastered guests flowing around add up to a sticky shutter button! Last October in Santa Fe, there was a Bill Richardson fund raiser and a wedding on same day at our hotel and the rental car got trashed overnight!

Well my 20D did the same thing. I called canon setup to send it in cost $195.00 base repair and that would cover most parts as well. what you get. Clean whole camera.(looked like new) reprogramed and recal. and replaced upper lid with the switch in it. Asked about shutter have well over 100,000 on my camera guys said keep going they dont know where the life thing came from. I was ready to change it but they said not to all is ok. shipped out and got back in same week Canon was great to deal with.

Dan

My best friend and my sisters could borrow my camera...they would be very very careful knowing how much my camera meant to me and how much the darn thing cost...that said accidents do happen whats a couple hundred bucks in repairs between loved ones...