Canon EFS 10-22mm vs Fisheye

jim_karthauser

I am after an ultrawide lens for my 350D, I have considered the Canon 15mm

fisheye but I understand due to the smaller sensor of the 350 I would not get

the full effect. I have read about Sigma 8mm fisheyes and other 8mm but I

think that these would have the same problem?

Does anyone else have any experience with these on APS-C sensors?

I would be interested seeing some in examples.

I am strongly considering the EFS 10-22 as an option but I plan to upgrade to

a 30D soon (no problem) but maybe a 5D which this would not be compatable with.

I may buy the 10-22 as well as a fisheye but I would only buy a fisheye if it

would work with the full 180 degree angle of view.

Any suggestions?

The 10-22 is a nice lens, but will give you a different look than a fisheye. The 10-22 is a rectilinear lens, so dows not warp things the same way as a fisheye does. If you are wanting a fisheye look to your images you will still probably need to get a fisheye, just understand that you will not get the full 180 degree effect.

The 15mm lens will fill the frame and provide 180 degrees corner to corner on full frame cameras. On crop cameras the effect is greatly lessened, but you can still see the typical fisheye barrel distortion, just not as much of it. The 8mm lens will give a 180 degree circular image, and not fill the frame on a full frame camera. On a crop frame camera it will almost fill the frame, but will have severe vignetting in the corners. However, it will show a 180 degree field of view, just not from top to bottom of the image as it does on full frame.

Tokina has a 10-17mm fisheye zoom that is designed for crop frame cameras. This lens fill the frame and shows a 180 degree image from corner to corner, at the 10mm setting. At 17mm it is a rectilinear lens without the distortion of a fisheye, and at other zoom settings the effect is mixed.

Check it out: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tokina_PIE2006.html

-- "At 17mm it is a rectilinear lens without the distortion of a fisheye"

No, at 17mm it is a 17mm fisheye. The same effect mentioned above for 15mm/16mm fisheyes applies here as well ... the effect isn't strong anymore, nevertheless, it is still a fisheye.

-- "I may buy the 10-22 as well as a fisheye but I would only buy a fisheye if it would work with the full 180 degree angle of view."

Get the 10-22. It's excellent, and will not loose much value if you decide to go FF and therefore sell it.

If you want an additional fisheye as a "toy lens" you might try the relatively inexpensive Peleng 8/3.5 ... The appended picture is from a Peleng. I usually crop the dark corners out. The leftover then is near 180deg over the diagonal.<div>00KZhl-35789284.jpg.0ae5deac804926f380b1a9ede43f16bb.jpg</div>

Unles you are into the fisheye look, I'd just get the 10-22.

I've some notes on the 16 and 8mm fisheyes used on APS-C DSLRs here http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/wide-angle-lenses-2.html

Due to the smaller sensor the 16mm fisheye lenses won't give you a 180 degree firld of view, which the do (diagonal) on a full frame camera. You do get 180 degrees horizontal with the 8mm fisheyes on an APS-C DSLR, but you'll probably want to do some cropping.

I have then 10-22 it's a fairly good lens especially at wider end (not so sharp at above 18mm) it also suffers from CA at wide angle. If you want fish eye effect this lens will not do that for you. Otherwise for a wide angle <20mm ) this is pretty much what Canon has out there. I have some 100% crops in my profile have a look and judge for yourself. Again, this is a descent lens, not a L lens though.