I just registered for my photography courses and am starting on my journey to

become a "real" photographer! I want to specialize in weddings, engagements,

and portraits.

Now, if you were just starting again, and had:

a Canon Rebel (3 years old, w/stock lense),

a 430ex speedlite,

75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lense,

and say, $5000 to spend on eqiupment

What would you buy (30D, 5D, Lenses, filters, Laptop for Adobe, etc)?

I will be sticking with the Canon Brand for cameras, but am willing to use

other compatable equipment and I want to stick with PCs instead of Mac.

Thanks!

I think this is about $5k...<p>

5D (or two 30D's)<br>

24-70mm/2.8 <br>

35mm/1.4<br>

85mm/1.8<br>

about 20gb in CF cards<br>

580EX + Lightsphere<br>

<p>

next up would be a better backup like a used 20D or second 5D (given the 5D was chosen

above as the main camera)<p>

then a longer lens like the 135mm f/2 or the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS<p>

I would suggest spending more on lenses up front and less on bodies for now.

-two used Canon 20D bodies (maybe $750-800 each)

-two 580EX flashes ($300 each)

-17-55 ($1200)

-85mm 1.8 ($300)

-$500 worth of memory cards if you are shooting raw (more if you can afford it - I have probably spent $2000 on memory cards)

-a good tripod with a ballhead

-a basic flash stand and an umbrella for quick and easy formals anywhere

-something to carry it all on a wedding shoot (I recommend the think tank photo belt system)

Honestly if I was starting out as in just getting familiar with photography and not too sure of what I personally prefer I would hold off on making an over the top purchase. I would wait until I know what works for me by borrowing or renting equipment. Peoples preferences vary as to what focal lengths they prefer too (also lenses on the 5d and 30d will seem different due to the sensors)

Get a decent amount of memory. I think around 5-8 GB's or so is fine (unless you get a 5d). A good computer with proper software, display and calibration is a must with digital photography. Choosing a laptop would allow you to take it on shoots to upload cards to (may want to get insurance). An extra battery is always a good idea. I think most people will agree to get the fastest/best lenses you can. For portraits a 70-200 f2.8 is excellent. A 50 mm 1.8 is a great sharp lens for a great price. It makes a good back-up or low light lens.

Backup equipment is very important too. I would hang on to your rebel and flash as a back up or a secondary camera. Perhaps equipped with a decent wide angle zoom. The canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 are good lenses and larger apertures "aren't" always as useful or required in wider lenses.

This really depends or your work flow and if you don't know that yet then hold off until you are more clear as to what you know you need. This stuff isn't cheap and nothing is worse than having an expensive piece of equipment you don't use due to various reasons.

So here is what I would get:

-Canon 30d (or wait to see what may be soon released)

-70-200 f2.8 IS (this will have a great future with your business)

-50mm 1.8

-wide angle zoom

-good computer

-memory

-580 ex flash

-business cards (this is the very least you can do to promote your business)

This should come in around the $5000 mark...I hope. I would then eventually replace the Rebel with the 30d and purchase a new camera and perhaps a 24-70 2.8 and you will be set for quite some time. Also this may require added expenses like a new camera bag etc...

good luck with whatever you decide

monica - also, I'm not sure if you have a day job, but if you do, I would recommend that you do NOT quit it until you have a consistent level of revenue coming in from photography.

why? a day job provides stability in terms of finances and health benefits - it might also keep you from getting lonely (something that happens to me from time to time since I am my own boss and I have no staff). it might cost you $400 to get the health benefits from work if you paid for them yourself - a lot of people don't count that into the cost of working for themselves, and they should.

also, a lot of photography - particularly weddings - happens on the weekend. consultations happen after work hours. processing time is when you are done your day job.

making the JUMP sounds glamorous, and waking up and never having a boss again probably sounds great, but many, many people fail because they did too much too quickly.

unless you are extremely talentedno reason to jump into photography by quitting your day job - rather, make modest but consistent steps toward full time photography over a longer time span and the ride will be much smoother and less stressful...

cheers - conrad

Bank most of the money and wait until you finish classes, assist for a season, and learn what you like and dislike.

While second shooting I found the Nikon 17-55 with a flash and bracket incredibly efficient but far from how I wanted to shoot.

I started out loving film,(even bought a medium Formay camera system), then bought majorly into digital Nikon, only to switch to Canon and fast primes.

Buying and selling for enjoyment and work likely cost me my third 5D body I would like to own.

Start off with...

Spend $500- $750 on a used Digital body. Reason being you will shoot 15,000 images for school and seconding weddings, so why burn up a good 5D to make other people money?

A fast 50mm like the f/1.8

Keep your kit lens and buy a 580 flash, bracket, and sync cord.

That will get you through year one and by the end know more about what you like and dislike. By then something better will be out and todays next generation will be incredible bargains in a year to 18 months.

Do not rush out and buy a load of gear. At this point you do not what look you are looking for. People give recommendations and gear that works for them. I've seen very sucessful wedding photographers with kits that other photographers wouldn't be caught dead with. Some people only shoot with primes, some only zooms, some on camera flash, some never on camera flash, etc. Some people are big and strong and have no problem carrying around a 3 pound lens mounted a big pro level body all day long, and some people would wind up in traction the next day after lugging that around.

Gear should be bought when there is something you want to do and don't have the gear to do it. If it's an expensive piece of gear rent it first. If you only need it on ocassion rent it when you need it. It takes several years to put together a kit that fits your needs and style.

The biggest mistake I made regarding equipment when I was a student and working two jobs was that I micro thought instead of macro thought.

I bought gear based on `current specifics` rather than thinking systematically and with a time line.

Concrete advice:

> I just registered for my photography courses.

> I have a Canon Rebel (3 years old, w/stock lens), a 430ex speedlite, 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens,

> $5000 to spend on equipment

What equipment do you need for the course, and how long is the course and when do you expect to do your first wedding as an `assistant` and `by yourself`?

The answers to these will begin to give you a time line. You may NOT need to buy another body or lens to adequately complete the first six months of the course. If you do need addition gear for this purpose, it probably will be another lens, NOT a new body, so then you are starting to put the equipment purchases against the time line.

NOW what you do is make sure you get a lens that will be useful for the course AND be useful for your business.

To do this, the next step is to get two or three or four LISTS, (or Five) and mark them COURSE, WEDDINGS, PORTRAITS, ENGAGEMENTS, OTHER JOBS and complete a list of gear you need for each one.

Obviously there will be overlaps, but complete each list individually, because the overlaps will assist you to identify what might be a more pressing purchase.

You then combine the lists with your time line (another set of lists with expected dates for these types of jobs and with weddings whether assiting or solo etc) and you can decide a progression of purchases with a priority. The lists might have minor changes as you gain experience, and that is good, because you have not blown the whole budget at once, and, hopefully you have been making an income from jobs you have picked up along the way.

Be careful of the ONE OFF job: for this renting a specific lens might be a better business decision than buying it.

As for the gear for weddings I would work towards a full kit as I described here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JplV

Remembering that you can build your wedding kit slowly according to your time line.

I consider the most important considerations are 2 bodies and 2 Flash and enough batteries and memory, 20Gb is a start IMO, one fast zoom and one fast prime. The Rebel would be adequate second body in the first instance.

In which case you have to think big picture in deciding between a full frame or another crop sensor as your second body.

Ultimately a combination FF and Crop is the best IMO, but you have to also look at your lens cache, with that in mind if you ultimately want to go FF body, then IMO I would rule out all EF-S lenses.

See, you might need another list to explore these options.

Best advice don`t buy a great wad of gear now, be patient and with every purchase think about its long term application.

Regards

WW

I am enjoying all the advice! Currently, I am a stay-at-home mom who has LOVED photography since high school. I am financially secure and am entering school to begin career. I am not wanting to jump into owning my own company right away, but I want to assist and LEARN as much as possible. As I learn, I am sure I will add to my gear, but I would like to start out equipped to handle most situations.

I am thinking of picking up a couple of lenses first, then upgrading to a 30D to get me through school and maybe to assist a local photographer. I think all of your advice will help me determine what to bring to it to get started! As I learn I will definitely make those lists of need and determine the things I will get the most use from. Then buy as the need arises! Thanks so much!

Ms Givens:

> then upgrading to a 30D to get me through school and maybe to assist a local photographer. <

If you do make lists as I suggested keep in mind that with a Rebel and 30D, as they are both 1.6x Crop Sensor bodies, one is limited at the wide end: unless one buys the EF-S wide zoom.

That being said: the EF-S wide zoom is not compatible with a Full Frame Body, should you wish to go that route later.

Just something more specific to keep in mind.

As a personally note I recently change my private film 35mm gear to Canon digital. I have a 20D and an assortment of lenses, but the next purchase is a 5D or equivalent Full Frame: I think there are great advantages with two bodies of differing sensor sizes: just something to think about.

Regards

WW