Starting point for a new Nikon DSLR user

nghi_hoang

I am anticipating delivery of a Nikon D200, a gift from my girlfriend for

graduating from medical school, in a few days. Up to this point, I shoot with

film (except for a point-and-shoot 3.2 MP Canon A70) using Nikon, Mamiya, and LF

cameras. I am very excited about my new toy, something I have wanted for a long

time. I am curious about where do most people start with regard to file format

(i.e. JPEG vs. RAW) and settings when they first get their DSLR. Do you start

shooting in RAW format immediately or shoot JPEG at the start before moving on

to RAW? What settings did you use? Anything I should pay special attention to?

I am anticipating a lot of fun with this new camera and a steep learning curve.

Congratulations! A lot of your curve will probably be on the computer, since you indicate you're an experienced photographer already. Familiarity with photo software will be important in expanding your skill with digital imagery. Jpegs don't necessarily need a lot of work out of the camera (although they can be improved on often enough), but eventually you'll probably at least want to try your hand at RAW (NEF) for the additional control you have over the final image.

Good luck! HWD

It sounds like you are a very serious photographer. If that is indeed the case, you'll need RAW, eventually. Given that memory cards are so cheap now, you can always shoot RAW + JPEG fine so that you have both. If you don't want to process RAW at the beginning, you have a JPEG to play around with. There is no need to eliminate some future possibilities at the time you press the shutter release.

hi Nghi ...

congrats on graduating from medical school! also, congrats on your upcoming D200.

my suggestion is to initially shoot JPG and concentrate on the use of the camera - try not to get "too serious" with the resultant photos. you need to understand the camera and the various controls.

obviously, start with the simple stuff: ISO, f/stop, shutter speed, exposure compensation, various lenses, and flash. you might want to keep most all settings on "auto". learn to use the rear LCD for photo review and to check the histogram and make adjustments as necessary.

develop a workflow for processing your photos - this includes taking the photo(s), download to computer, then use software for organization and development of the photo, and finally publish (or print).

understand the workflow - your choice of software will be important.

after you feel comfortable with the camera, and using the basic controls, then start delving into the more detailed controls, such as white balance, image quality and size, metering modes, flash compensation, bracketing, sharpness, and so on.

at this time, you might want to start shooting RAW+JPG - this way you'll get an "instant" photo (JPG), and you'll have the advantage of playing around with the RAW file ... experiment with the various attributes that can be altered.

eventually, you might find that you only shoot in RAW or maybe in RAW+JPG or maybe only JPG. it all depends on the genre of photos you're interested in shooting and the quality of the final product.

regards, michael

I think Shun's advise is good. I find post processing RAW files tedious and time consuming, though someday I may feel differently. I suspect spare time is going to be a rare commodity in your life for a least a few years. By shooting both Raw and JPG you will have your digital bases covered. Be sure to save these files in more than one place.

Ken Rockwell has an article that may interest you:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Nghi ...

read Rockwell's articles with a grain of salt - personally, i've read a number of his articles that contradict each other. also, some of his articles are dated (he doesnt date his articles, so you don't know when they were written). in the article recommended you read, there is a reference to 2004, which means that's about 4 years old - times have changed.

don't get me rwong, from a 10 thousand foot view, the articles are okay, but don't get locked on them with the details.

Ken prefers to shoot JPG - that's his *opinion*. here's another article with a different slant:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/o_RAW_workflow/_RAW_workflow.html

regards, michael

I agree with Shun. I shot only JPG for a brief period, but now shoot only RAW. I wish I had a RAW for some of those early shots. Shoot RAW and JPG to start with so as not to limit your options down the road. Congrats on Med School. Do you know what you'll be specializing in?

First of all, thank you for your responses. Robert is right. Time is indeed going to be a rare commodity for me in the next few years. Still, I remain optimistic that I will have some time to devote to my hobby. I am looking forward to the instant feedback provided by digital photography. I also think that I will continue to use my F100, Mamiya RZ67, YashicaMat, and the LF camera. I love looking at MF and LF chromes on the light table late at night.

I am somewhat familiar with Photoshop. I know how to use it, but only the very basic functions. I suppose that is where a good portion of the learning curve is going to be. I am pretty knowledgeable about computer (I build my own machines), so storage will not be an issue for me. Workflow is going to be something I will need to familiarize myself with.

I have a 105mm f/2.5 AIS, which I love using it for portrait on my F100. I can?t wait to use it with the D200. The rest of my lenses consist of three Nikkors (17-35 f/2.8 AFS, 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, 105 f/2.8 Micro) and a Tokina (28-70 f/2.8). They?ve served me well and will continue to do so in the future.

Given the time constrain in the future, I think I am going to do a lot of studio/macro photography. I have a PB-6 bellow that I bought from a friend for a good price a while back. It is going to be used a lot more now.

I?ve heard great things about the new flash system from Nikon. I find it a bit irritating that my SB-28 is not going to be fully compatible with the D200. I suppose I am going to start saving for a SB-800.

Regarding Ken Rockwell?s articles, I read them with some reservation. He is an interesting person and photographer. Strobist is another thing altogether. That blog has been very educational for me. It gave me new ways to think about my SB-28 and how to use it.

One thing I notice is that the price of the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 has gone up about $20. The last time I checked, it was about $94 (USA version) at B&H. It was a while ago though. I have wanted to buy it to reverse and attach it to my Micro Nikkor.

I figure you are going to figure it all out quick enough. I entered the digital world just a few months ago. Very similar to you with different film and medium format camera's that I use and love.

I would just start shooting with jpegs first while you learn the different functions and get used to the camera. I found my D200 to consistently underexpose by about 1/2stop. RAW files are great but you may find that your photoshop will not open the files anyway. Adobe has free plugins for this depending on which photoshop program you use. I hasve CS2 and used the ACR 3.3 free plugin and am happy with how that works. However your camera will come with the Nikon picture project program that will convert your RAW files to TIFF or jpeg. There are many different ways to deal with this but you can figure out what is best for you after a while. The Fine/Large jpeg shooting mode easily will give you 11x14 picture size. When it comes to flash units you get what you pay for of course. The sb600 and sb800 are what I recommend using. The new sb400 is out now and may appeal to you as a starter flash. IT will work in iTTL mode but not in manual mode on the D200. I would recommend picking up a second battery for your D200. It runs down fairly fast and using the built in flash will speed the battery drain process a bit. You have some nice lenses and I am sure you will have fun. Good luck. What type of practice are you going to go into. Since you just graduated from Med School then you are now going to spend time as an intern? In the states that leaves no time for photography at all. But it will be worth it. An honorable career.

There's no shame in just shooting jpegs. I liken it to slide film - get it all right in the camera,

with minimal post-processing afterwards. I usually just do what I could do with slides -

cropping and rotation correction (I have a problem tilting the camera, but takes awhile to

break bad habits) I spend all day at the computer earning my living. I want to get away from

it as much as possible when I'm relaxing with photography.

Shoot JPEG and RAW at first. If you get a real "keeper", you'll regret not having the "negative". Buy Nikon Capture (not NX), it does extremely well with Nikon's colors, gives very good resolution (better than ACR and the out of the camera JPEGs), and I consider it very fast considering its quality (with my computer it takes about 10 seconds to demosaic a D200 file).

In PP the most crucial stage is pre-PP, which is where you set your exposure, WB gain, and basic contrast curve before demosaicing. Messing with these afterwards introduces color shifts, posterization, and reduced DR. Generally start with a linear curve, and disable NR and sharpening in NC.

Do any cloning and healing as soon as the image arrives in Photoshop and then do more curves (get Dan Margulis' "The Canyon Conundrum...") in RGB and LAB. Avoid any sharpening until the end (I use Photokit Sharpener), and you will need to sharpen digital images because of the camera's AA filter.

If this sounds like a lot of trouble, don't be intimidated because after awhile you will see that actually doesn't take that long. On the flip side, I find doing PP on JPEGs much more cumbersome and less rewarding. Regarding Ken Rockwell, don't waste your time with him; instead get Thom Hogan's D200 Guide here:

http://www.bythom.com/d200guide.htm

The first time you mess up an exposure on an otherwise good shot, you will be happy your

shooting RAW. My last shoot, the best picture was underexposed since the flash was not fully

cycled when a took it. It was relatively easy to save the shot since I was using RAW.

You can shoot raw + jpg but I just shot raw from the get go. You'll figure out how to use it. Me I prefer A Priority (A) for mode. You just have to decide on your editing program really. Photoshop is sophisticated Lightroom is new and excellant and good on mac or pc.Nikon's program as stated above or Aperture.

Follow up, I decided to shoot NEF + JPEG fine, ISO 100, Daylight WB, and the rest of the settings are defaults. I walked to Golden Gate Park yesterday evening and shot some cherry blossoms macros and the Dutch Windmill. I walked into the park early this morning and shot the same things. Initial results are <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/5757998">here</a> and at the link above.

I must say I really like this camera. It handles very similarly to my F100. I was a little nervous about the extensive menus, but after this morning, I think it's rather intuitive. I love the instant feedback on the LCD screen and the histogram overlay function. It gets even better once I get home and be able to see my photographs on my computer LCDs. Seeing my excitement, my girlfriend commented, "We should have gotten you this camera when it first came out." But we only started dating when it first came out.

I am a happy camper. Thanks for all your inputs.