Split-Image Focus Screen for an F100

brian_prestemon

Has anyone ever heard of having a split image focus screen on an F100? It

would be nice for when I use my manual lenses or just want to do some manual

focusing.

I saw a post on the Nikonians web site a while back where someone said they had

installed a K3 split-image screen from an FM3A into their F100 with great

results. They did say they had to file off about half of the (tweezer grab

point) tab to make it fit in place but once they did it worked really well.

Does anyone have any input or experience with this? Or do any of you know of

any other options for a split-image screen in an F100?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Beattie does/did make four different types of split-image focusing screens for the F100. However, you've got to want one pretty bad IMHO to go that route, as the price is $100 a pop via special order at B&H Photo. I also see them on eBay occasionally, but not very often.

Katz Eye does not list any split-image screens for the F100 (or any other film SLR) on their web site. DSLR's only.

I have a lot of manual focus lenses, and can't really say that I have missed having an optical focus aid when using them on my F100. The electronic rangefinder is very accurate for those situations where focus is tricky. But ... different strokes for different folks.

Brian,

I was the one who posted about the K3 screen on Nikonians. I don't know if there are any other alternatives; Katz doesn't list a split screen for the F100 and I've heard some negative things about Beattie screens, not to mention they're quite expensive. Nikon sent me the K3 screen for about $45 and with a little snip-snip, it works great and none of the metering patterns are affected.

I see that B&H now has the K3 screen in stock for $30 (they were OOS for quite some time IIRC). I suspect the K2 could also be used (same mod as Rob described) and it's readily available on eBay for under $20, although some exposure compensation might be necessary as it's not quite as bright as the K3.

I have a K2 screen kicking around - I might try it in my F100 just for the heck of it if I get bored and am looking for something to fiddle with. :-)

I have a Beattie in my 8008 and F100 (about 2 weeks after I got the camera). They are harder to keep clean than Nikon screens: whatever plastic and coating Beattie uses is like an electrostatic dust magnet.

Aside from that, I love them. The split images are huge: about twice the size of the one in my FM2 and FA. I think that Beattie molds one large screen, which is the same screen used for medium format and 35mm, and just mills it down to the appropriate size.

Don't order the diagonal split, the horizontal is more accurate (40% more split movement for a given focus error than the diagonal when you're focusing on vertical lines). The world is full of vertical lines.

I have cut down K3 screens for Nikon DSLRs, where the huge Beattie split image magnified by the 1.5x crop factor would be really over the top.