should i work on this photo?

roger_michel

i can't decide if i like this photo or not -- this doesn't usually happen to me. before i spend a lot of time

working on printing it, do others think it is worth the effort? there is an odd plasticity in the water, at least

in my test prints that makes the image quite striking. however, i am not sure is i am wild about the overall

composition. what do you think?

sorry for the odd request.

roger

I'd say yes. <p>

But I wouldn't be wedded to the idea of it being in color, and I might even experiment with doing away with the symmetry. <p>

Finally, if I didn't seem to be getting anywhere, I'd be influenced by how easy it would be to go back to that place for another crack at it.

I will, for example, be going back to <a href=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/268311414_e660f580ed_o.jpg> this place</a>. Took just a few snaps, and didn't really get what I wanted.<p>

Please let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Yes. Put a thin black frame around it. Bleed out the excess blues. Print it and put it on the

wall. Then go on to something else.

It's a nice photograph, as opposed to ground-breaking photograph. Nice photographs,

being pleasant in themselves, deserve our respect and affection.

Do you want to take pictures and do you want to be a photographer more (or less) than being a digital illustrator?

There are hundreds of ways to have taken a better picture right at the start of the fountain than what you have got.

If I were you, I would work on the original best capture, simply because I do not care for digital illustrations; they seem to come out too plasticky, kitschy, forced, dull, predictable, ... for me in general. I want to take the best picture of the real world that I can. Period. For me working on a bad capture or composition etc like yours (sorry) is like throwing money and time at a losing proposition. But you do what you want to do, by all means!

I like your photos of people much better than anything else I've seen. This doesn't do it for

me. The composition is problematic and doesn't look fixable. The subject matter is, well....

a plume of water. You can find that in your kitchen sink.

Roger,

My advice is: if you have doubts then don't waste time on it. I find when I have doubts they usually worsen even after a lot of time is devoted to working on the image.

My view of the picture is that it is not that fascinating. The caveat of course is that I am seeing only a very small version on screen and hence the detail and plasticity etc. that you talk about, and I can't see, may well elevate it above the ordinary.

Robin Smith

hi -- thanks again for your helpful thoughts. i think the bottom line here is that the image

is nothing spectacular in terms of content. however, now that i see a few more test prints

off my 4800 on arches paper i realize there is something special about the way this

particular file prints. i am printing at 17x12. at that size, and with the profiles that i have

applied, it is very striking, very 3D.

i am sorry about the color issue. i know my monitor is not calibrated right now. i have

had to adjust the file several times.

here is what i am printing out just for the sake of completeness. i guess there is some

kind of less about boring images printed well. that's john sexton's stock and trade, right?

(kidding, sort of).

thanks again for your candid help.

take care, roger

Didn't see your comment Hans until I started to post my humble attempt at manipulating Roger's shot, but I pretty much agree. I kept the fountain central though, in a square format shot. I'd print the square central on a portrait format paper with a black border as in the eg below.

I 'played' with the file, with a couple of adjustment layers, mainly lowering the saturation. I think I added a subtle PS 'dark strokes' filter at some point.

Please excuse my poor PS ability !!!