How to use the AE Prism

rmlewis

Hi Rob:

It's pretty straight forward. On the right side there is an "MANUAL/AUTO" switch. On the Left side there is an "ON/OFF" switch.

For manual metered (un-coupled) metering set the right switch to "MANUAL" and set the left switch to "ON". When you press the shutter button part way down the meter will display its' calculated shutter speed for the appeture you have chosen at the top of the viewfinder. You will have to manualy set the shutter speed dial on the left of the body. The meter doesen't set anything - just takes a reading & calculates shutter speed based on the appeture chosen.

For appeture priority operation slide the right switch to "AUTO". Then when you press the shutter release part way down the meter not only calculates the shutter speed but the dial on the side of the body becomes inoperative and the meter will STEPLESSLY set the shutter speed. You may see 2 of the speeds indicated in the top of the view finder. This will mean that the shutter will operate at a speed between the 2 numbers.

Batteries seem to run down during storage with the metered prism in place - so when through shooting - either remove the prism & replace it with a waist level finder(or a cap) OR remove the battery.

Hope this helps -- Jim

I have had the Auto setting work once and it showed the shutter speed at the top of the viewfinder window. I thought I had it sussed out but nearly all the time it has not worked.

When I follow the instructions it shows a red triangle in the right hand top corner and the shutter settings seem to flash across the whole range of numbers.

I thought that the batteries may be flat so I replaced them - no success.

I cleaned the contacts on the prism and the camera but alas no success

Could the AE prism be faulty?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed

That means you need a shutter speed greater than 1/500. The triangle is an "OUT OF RANGE" indicator.

Make sure you have the ISO speed set correctly on your back.

You need to rotate the appeture ring to a smaller appeture. Try holding the shutter button part way down & rotating the apeture ring back & forth. You should see the shutter speeds change in the view finder. Do this while viewing an average subject - a bright subject - then a dim subject.

Jim