simple lighting

I am a traditional photographer and have recently started shooting digital.

I had some requests to shoot products. I have a very small studio space with

window light and a built in flash. I am shooting with a canon powershot g1, I

know it is not new but I really like this camera.

Does anyone recommend a light (prefer to start with one) to use either a

modellight or strobe to attach to camera. What would be sufficient for this

type of work?

Thanks!

Jackie

For smaller products you will be happier and have far more control using the window light and some white card reflectors. That way, you'll see exactly what your lighting is. Many small products are shot with one big light and lots of small chunks of reflectors to get the light into the exact areas you want.

Doug

Sorry, my own Canon days are long gone. I did my share of product photography with a Powershot Pro70. - First suggestion read the manual carefully how to get rid of a auto white balance, doing what it likes. With the Pro70 I had to mount something into the hotshoe. Today I'd prefer a huge softbox placed above the camera in front of the subject, but if you have white walls and ceiling a hotshoeflash with swivel head allowing bouncing might be a good idea too. In doubt get the powerfull one or anything allowing at least f16 according to its guide number for your lowest ISO (50?) for the distance strobe to wall + wall to subject. If you have manual white balance and a tripod try what you have at hand. Arrays of fluorescent tubes behind diffusers give plenty of cold and soft light.

Nothing wrong with window and reflectors to bounce light back into the shadows. Use AWB unless you can set the camera better.

Foe small product I would use a continuous source tungsten light.

Lowell Tota lights or DP or the 650 watt frenel spot. Add reflectors if you want to fill shadows.

Photogenic may still sell their small frenel spots. About the size of your fist. I have two.

Add heat resistant unbrellas from Lowell to soften the DP`s or totas. I use these for portraits. The frenel spot if I want hard rather than soft light.

Add diffusion screens to soften any light.

There is no disadvantage to tungsten for still like work unless you are doing ice cream. Then work fast.

For ultra cheap, Smith Victor flood lights plus clip on diffusers. Get the Ultra Cool model at least, not the $10 ones. Ultra cools have ceramic heavy duty sockets and last much linger.

Smith Victor also make broad and flood lights.

Invest in sturdy light stands with WIDE bases , no flyweight stuff.

Then make a low shooting table with a support for your background and sweep.

buy a book on lighting.