Asuka Books...How archival are they?

toddlaffler

I am thinking of offering some Asuka books as a "cheaper" solution to conventional albums. Does

anyone know or even thought about just how long these books are expected to last? Let's assume they

are kept out of sun light and not in any extreme conditions. Are we talking 20 years, 50, 100???? What

do you tel clients when they ask this question.

I just have no concept on how long it will take for them to go "bad". I'm sure it is gradual thing, but still.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Todd

Why not call or write them directly?<p>

They are great people to talk to and I'm sure would have an answer for you that would be

better than anyone here could give you.<p>

There is also some info on this on this website...<p>

<i>

"We use special inks that outlast the life of widely used press inks. A surface varnish coating

is also applied increasing durability and quality. Expect your book to last at least as long as

any standard high-quality printed book."</i>

Matt, thanks, I think I will need to call them, but I doubt they will be any more specific

about that. To me, the information you quoted is too vague. Maybe that's just me, I don't

know. I know they can't pin point a specific number of years, but it would be nice to tell a

client that if stored properly they will last between X-Y years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Todd,

I'm currently working at AsukaBook for my "day" job. We don't have an exact number of years because they company has only been around for a little over 10 years, only two of those in the US. But we do take great pride in the printing of our books. Sorry to have to be so vauge. The books are printed using Digital on Demand process and have either a laminate or varnish coating applied, which helps to protect the pages. Hope this helps a little.

Sarah

• 8 months later...

Sarah, can you tell me your interpretation of the difference in the look between the laminate and the varnish?

(hope you're still connected with the thread)

I have the laminate example but how is the varnish look different in your view?

anyone else?