K10D CRACKED

ioannis papadogiannis

On a yesterday treck to a waterfall i felt on my back to some rocks.On my back i

had also my camera bag with my K10D.The fall was nusty and with a 2m tall and

95kg

man on it,the camera has now a crack around the on-off button but the camera

works 100%.Except the complements for the cameras durability does anyone has in

mind if this will be an expensive repair? For us here in Greece it is a holiday

and i will contact the local dealer tomorow so if any one knows...

I had a camera body crack and the repair offered was to replace the body.. this was a crack in the front, and it was an SRT 201 and it was years ago.

I did not repair it, tho the camera worked fine. It was suggested a little epoxy type glue or "JB Weld" would do the trick.

If the repair is simply too much to be worth it, then (and only then) I might try the glue idea.

My suggestion is to contact Pentax directly. Here in the USA Pentax has established a USA headquarters, and handles service matters. Maybe also a headquarters in Greece, or an official service center. Check Pentax world wide website.

If the camera still works fine after such an inpact- I am impressed! Good luck in the repair.

Could be the best thing that happened to your camera, now you won't worry so much about it getting damaged and you can take it places no-one else would dare take their DSLR and get photo's no-one else would. Seal it up with some epoxy and only get it fixed when you want to sell it - that's my advice

Nicks comments are precisely why I would only by used bikes. No worries about that first wreck or scratch. Already done for me.

In terms of durability, the camera works after it fell 1.5 meters onto rocks with 200lbs on top. Not too shabby.

I never expect to hammer nails with the K10D but it's solid enough that if I don't abuse it I should get the 3 year life I expect out of it.