one with the highlights slightly underexposed, one with the darkest areas

slightly overexposed, and one in the middle. Could someone please throw it

into Photomatix (or another HDR program) and repost it so I can see what kind

of potential there is? I've tried using Photomatix but I'm doing something

wrong because every set of exposures I put in the end result picture is more

overexposed throughout the image than the most exposed image I used! I would

really like to see what it can do with pictures of this nature. If someone

could combine these and repost them (they don't have to be perfectly altered

and cleaned up...just a rough idea is fine) I'd really appreciate it!<div>00JluJ-34728784.thumb.JPG.d1439d85b88a1ed83480c34503f1e584.JPG</div>

Your JPGs are VERY compressed, Tyler: 1:80! In my PhotoMatix that shows as countless

huge pixelated artifacts. Doesn't make for a pretty HDR. Tonemapping hardly improves

that. The blown out church tower, finally, is my main prob. Haven't a clue how to work

around that.

I'd prefer the darkest of your 3 far over what I got after HDR and tonemapping. It's plain

ugly. Too bad even to post here as an 'educational example'. I shudder to have my name

attached to that image for all eternity!

Thank you for the responses. Hakon--I appreciate the sample image and W. Smith, I understand what you mean about the compression and church. Would bigger files help or would it not matter? As you probably have figured out, the church in this shot is my main problem (the bridge cables are a close second). Any foreground light at all lights the bridge and church steeples on fire and washes out all detail! Does anyone know if there is a way in photoshop (or when "developing" a RAW file) that I can divide the image into 2 parts and develop them differently? Fortunately in this image the entire top half is what needs to be darker and the entire bottom half lighter. If I could do that, it would also solve my problem. If someone knows how to do that, please let me know. The bridge and church steeples are the highlights of the shots so correct exposure on them I feel is priority #1! However, the foreground and especially row of houses under them are a nice compliment if I can shed a wee bit of light on them.

Hakon--So, after I use "combine" and get the super bright image, you are saying that I use "tone mapping" to adjust it to what I want? I can get the generated image from "generate" but am not sure where to go from there. I'll keep playing and reading...any guidance is greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Tyler,

it is best to use Raw Files when attempting HDR images with Photomatrix. the tonal range is extended thru the combination of the 16 bit files, an advantage you lose when using 8 bit jpgs (regardless of their compression). you can get away with shooting a single Raw file and then doing a bracketed processing to 16 bit Tifs but even this isnt as ideal as using in camera bracketed Raw files.

as pointed out, the resulting image after Photomatrix composites an HDR file extends beyond the capability of your monitor to accurately represent the tones present and thus is seen as a weirdly overexposed shot. Tone Mapping is required to compress the now 48 bit (or is it 32 bit...) file back down to 16 bits where your monitor can show the extended range of the shot.

using 8 bit Jpgs will never produce some of the vivid results you may have seen other photographers post online. hope that helps.<div>00QP3P-61945584.jpg.96439a524c00f6cd1f17ff5da8b5685a.jpg</div>