Rolleiflex Old Standard Repair tips needed

Has anyone here worked on the Old Standard Rolleiflex?

These are much different from the other versions.

I found a sad one for $10. I managed to install a new shutter (found one by pure

luck) cleaned the tessar up, etc etc.

verything is clean and working accept..

The focusing mechanism on this model is very odd yet clever. It's going to be

tricky setting infinity focus without some tips. So I hope I get some.

Never worked on the real thing, just a copy. There's probably some way to adjust the focus knob. My Tokyo Optical Laureflex uses a conical "clutch".

Collimate the taking lens for infinity, either using ground glass on the film rails and a distant target, or a mirror on the film rails and an auto-collimator. Mount the focusing knob set at the infinity mark.

Now, collimate the focusing lens. Hopefully there's a set-screw to loosen that lets you turn the viewing lens to collimate it. If there isn't, it's a cut & try operation with shims for the focusing screen.

Hi, I've stumbled upon setting the focus in these old TLR's some time ago. I had worked on my taking lens, and had knocked the focus "way off" in the process.

Here's what I did. I set an object with nice sharp lines in front of my living room window. (My object was a small lantern).

I put the camera on a tripod and focused with the ground glass and a loupe.

Then I stretched toilet tissue across the rollers (later I used acid-etched glass, which works better provided it will fit on the rollers). Then I adjusted the focus at the lens (turning the element in or out) until I had a sharp representation on the tissue as I did the ground glass.

Once they matched, I put some film in it and checked out the results shooting wide open. It was right on target.

Setting the focus was real easy this way, so easy I forgot all about the 5 or 6 rolls of film I wasted before this method occured to me.

Just remember, the film will be stretched across the rollers, make sure your "screen" is stretched across them as well.

I never liked the name Old Standard Rolleiflex, although it's usual. My term would be Four Spindle Rolleiflex (against the three spindle Original One). The fromt deck can be shimmed on the four spindles but usually it is not necessary.

First, you have to check infinity of the taking lens with a matte screen or an autocollimator. Turn the knob until infinity is there. Adjust zero focus (exactly adjust the scale) then by a simple adjustment of the focus knob. Pull up the leatherette from the focus knob and adjust accordingly. Viewing lens comes after.