Should I ask?

anthony johns

Hey! The one thing that I seem to have a hard time with in taking street

photography is that I don't know how to approach a person to take a photo.

Should I just take a picture if the person is interesting or should I ask them?

If I go up to someone should I say you look interesting in the lens or just ask

to take their picture? People get suspicious and I don't want to insult people.

What do you do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony- this question has been addressed before, and below are some quotes & notes

that I've saved from prior posts. My apologies for not saving the names of the

sources:<p>

<li>Be direct; don't sneak around or "act guilty"</li>

<li>Don't take a picture of a total stranger doing nothing particularly interesting- no point

(lousy photo), and arouses suspicion</li>

<li>The most important aspect is confidence and getting over the initial nervousness of

engaging in what is a invasive activity</li>

<li>Mason Resnick on Garry Winogrand: "(Winogrand) walked slowly or stood in the

middle of pedestrian traffic as people went by. Incredibly, people didn't react when he

photographed them. It surprised me because Winogrand made no effort to hide the fact

that he was standing in way, taking their pictures. Very few really noticed; no one seemed

annoyed. Winogrand was caught up with the energy of his subjects, and was constantly

smiling or nodding at people as he shot."</li>

<li> More from Mason: <a href="http://www.photogs.com/bwworld/ramble798.html">

Rambling with Resnick - Resnick's Guide to Street Photography</a></li><p>

I guess the best way to start is to just do it.

<p>Asher - thanks for the link on the article. Very entertaining! However, the author implied it was hard to find the Decisive Moment by Cartier-Bresson. Wrong! I found a dozen for sale on my first attempt!</p>

<a href="http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=bresson&y=21&tn=Decisive+Moment&x=110">www.abebooks.com</a>

<p>Just pick the one you want, from $950 to $5000. No problem!</p>

A few other viewpoints:</P>

- Be direct; don't sneak around or "act guilty" - Many consider invisibility of tantamount

importance.</p>

- Don't take a picture of a total stranger doing nothing particularly interesting- no point

(lousy photo), and arouses suspicion - I thoroughly disagree, a large part of street

photography is capturing the everyday, the ordinary.

How to approach a person to take a photo

Just take the photo, worry about if they are going to remove your head with a large shiny sword after you have done the wicked deed.

If they do, well, hey.

Technique, courage in the real sense of the word; and a big smile wins the day.

Try not to think too much otherwise you will disappear up your own smelly place.

Street photographic techniques given to you by P/N.... superior member's guide. All in real techno color and surround sound.

Thanks to all who have certificated the above.

For that individual who has achieved in life a Moderator Uniform....question yourself.

Why should a manufacturer, not be questioned about a camera which is unable to producing a technically correct pix not be challenged?

I'm forgetting the exciting price for this cam.

Al Gorman said: <i>"To much mouth on this place and not enough real work."</i><p>

Some truth to that Al, but if you feel that way then why hang out at a forum where people

come to discuss things? There's no PN pre-requisite photographic skill to having an

opinion. Doesn't mean you have to agree, but there it is.

Some truth to that Al, but if you feel that way then why hang out at a forum where people come to discuss

Some truth. All truth. Honesty in photography.

Some of use will stick with the truth. Honesty, if it suits; will bend it.

Okay, some will die in a terrible way, but does it matter?

Mostly I just try and take the picture that I was drawn to first, so that I'm sure to get the moment I wanted. If they've noticed and look like they want an explanation, after the fact I tell them that I'm studying photography and smile or some such thing, and its generally a really friendly exchange. Sometimes I ask first, for instance if I'm interested in taking pictures of someone's tatooing, pet, baby etc. I'm not really smooth at this yet, but haven't gotten into any trouble. I will say this, with the exception of pictures I've taken children who were mugging for me, my favorite pictures are the one's where people were unaware of being photographed--its more the essence of street photography rather than portraiture done on the street.--emily