tamron lens 180mm macro

chuck_fry1

Well, I bought mine at the beginning of winter and haven't had a chance to use it much, but when I do I find the IQ is impressive. The sheer bulk is less so -- often when I'm packing my gear in the morning, the Tamron keeps getting shunted aside because I place a premium on low weight and space saving -- I need to carry the Tamron separately in a Lowepro #4 case. For me, its in the same category (and Lowepro bag!) as my 300mm f4.0 L -- love its quality, but its too big to be convenient yet not quite enough for the birds that are my main interest.

So ergonomics is my main problem with this lens -- I'll have to discipline myself to carry and use it. I guess the main point I would suggest is to evaluate how it fits in with your other lenses: If you have a 90/100/105 macro, you'll probably gravitate towards that for convenience unless you need the extra working distance of the Tamron 180. IQ is superb, but the size and heft are drawbacks. With no IS, external support is often needed.

I also like the Tamron clutch shift for auto/manual focus -- pushing the focusing barrel forward/back for auto/manual is a lot easier for winter use with mittens or thick gloves than the teeny switches on most of my other lenses, including Canons.

The clever mounting mechanism that allows you to rotate a filter, like a CPL, by turning a ring not covered by the mounted hood, is another plus. I think the hood is included but I don't know because I bought used on eBay. In any case, the hood, or something like it, is mandatory because the front element is unshielded.

Its also mainly plastic but with a metal mount, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as many other folks. Also, some users feel the tripod ring, also plastic, is weak. So far I haven't noted vibration from the tripod ring, but I haven't enough experience to make a categoric judgement.