Back up 20D

tonylarcombe

Ok, I'm convinced I need a back-up digital camera, and it makes sense to me to

get a 20D which is the same as I have now. I do shoot with a back-up, don't

all jump on me for not doing that, but currently I use an Elan 7e (love that

eye focus), which as you all know is a film camera.

Question ? oh yeah, where would be a good place to purchase a very good second

hand 20D ! and also, does anyone think it would be worth waiting until after

Feb just in case Canon release more cool gear leading to a drop in the price of

the already outdated :-( 20D ?

Thanks,

Tony.

Both B&H and Adorama have used gear and are reputable. We're also selling one of our 20Ds.

As far as waiting, I'd say not to wait, b/c you can always wait and there's always going to be better gear. Obviously if there's something new you want right away that's one thing, but otherwise, I think people worry a little too much about gear.

I was originally thinking of going the other way, and getting the Rebel, but my reasoning was that if I have two cameras and different lenses on each, I can interchange them fairly easily. I'm not sure how different the 30D is, but I was thinking of having the longer lens on the second 20D and then hopefully switching between the 2 would not leave me with a "oh heck, how do I do this with this camera as opposed to the other" type of situation.

Stick to getting the 20D. The 30D only has minor improvements, which in my opinion are not worthe cost difference (but may be for some). Don't get a rebel (different battery, different control layout, etc).

<p>

I highly recommend KEH. Look for stuff with an "excellent" or higher rating. They are reputable, usually have pretty good deals and also a great return policy.

Well, contrary to popular opinion, I have a couple of the 30d's and a 20d too. They are used by my assistants 99% of the time. When I got the first 30d they fought over it and I ended up getting another. I have used them a fair amount too and must say, the 30d is much more friendly. If I had to go buy one now, I would still get the 30d.

Ok, not to make life hard, but wait about 3 weeks and see what PMA brings us this year. It will probably be a 10mp, dust 'free' version of the 30d and sell for similar money. If its not a big improvement over the 30d, then get the 30d and you will still save over getting one now.

Best, D.

Might be worth seeing if you can get a canon refurb with the 1 year canon warranty, it will be cheaper than new but with the same warranty as a new camera. Might be worth checking whether you will qualify for CPS membership (you will have 2 qualifying bodies, you need 3 lenses as well plus proof of being a pro) as the 3 day turnaround is great.

There is almost no doubt that canon will be releasing a 40D with 10 megapixels which as you say will drive the prices down again, given that we will know in a month and you do already have backup, I would suggest waiting to see whether you can save some money for the extra memory cards you will need or some new glass, etc.

Your bank balance is not going to like this consideration:

Question where your practice might be in 12 months.

You are considering another digital, so from the information you have supplied you will have 2 x 20D bodies and 1 x Full Frame Film body.

If you believe in 12 months or so, your shooting will be predominately digital; then you should seriously consider a 5D. Thus having (in digital) FF and 1.6 crop advantages.

However if you decide your shooting will still be a combination film and digital, you should still consider the 5D, because if you don?t and you have 2 x 20D only, because the film body goes down, you surely will regret the wide angle limitations you may have.

From the information supplied (ie not knowing your full lens cache) it appears your back up plan could be limited, potentially leaving you exposed at wider angles.

WW

Actually, there are two features of the 30D over the 20D that make it worth the difference for me:<br><br>

The spot meter<br>

The beefed up shutter (same as the 5D now, and much more reliable)

<br><br>

The big screen is nice too, but my eyes are still pretty good.

<br><br>

I've used both 20Ds and 30Ds as secondary bodies. Honestly though, I'm waiting for PMA...

I bought a refurbished 20D from Adorama. When it came the LCD sreen was broken! This could have really sucked except that they handled it so well. I called and told them the problem, they took it back no questions asked and paid for all shipping charges. I got a replacement in working order in about 5 days. It probably would have taken less time on the mainland. I would definately recommend Adorama for buying used equipment.