Bellows on Canon Digital SLR Body

rnandwana

Canon don't make Bellows for the EF system but there is an independent make. http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm

However most folks use the fantastic MP-E 65mm that provides 1:1 to 5:1 reproduction and is rugged enough to use in the field. It is also a better solution optically due to the floating element to correct for magnification dependent CA.

I have a page on macro equipment here that might be of interest. http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/Macro_Equipment.htm

And here is an article on the MP-E http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2914.htm

OK I forgot to say whatever macro kit you are using the focus method remains the same. You manually set the desired magnification using the lens helical thread or bellows extension thread, then move the whole thing back and forth to place the plane of sharp focus where you want it.

Macro lenses like the also wonderful Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM macro will also AF often quite well but the above manual technique normally gives better results when the magnification is more than 1:2.

BTW I used to use bellows on a Canon FD systems, go for the MP-E it is a much more viable solution.

I use a Canon Fd auto bellows. I have an FD to EOS adaptor (remov the glass in the adaptor--it's crap and unecessary for macro work). Mount camera on bellows, and then use any of the fine FD mount macro lenses. Canon made a couple. I use the Tokina 90mm 2.5 MAcro with adaptor for correcting at macro work. Makes a great setup. You could get the whole set up for about $200 off of ebay (of course you'd have to piece it together).

Even cheaper is using a M42-Bellow with Adapter. I got mine, together with a slide copying

unit, in perfect mint condition from ebay.de for < $100 (brand is Pentacon, old GDR product

in very solid quality). Certainley totally manual, but together with an M39-Enlarger lens (plus

adapter ring) making absolutelly decent repros of my negatives -- no vignetting and crispy

sharp into corners etc. (Enlarger lenses are pretty ideal for that purpose...)

You may have to get an older macro book for best info on bellow. Most web info is on more expensive macro lens solutions. A bellow is still a very economical way of getting top notch macro quality from long working distant / low magnification to high magnification / short focal length applications. A bellow macro set up is no different then a lens with a focus helicoid. For low magnification, focus is done by changing the bellow length. For high magnification, focus is best done moving the whole camera setup back and fore. When using a tripod, a focus rail can be used.

The canon EOS bodies can use most type of bellow using proper adapters. These incluse, Nikon F, Minolta MC, Olympus OM, Pentax K, M42, T-mount, M40, Leica M, M39, M44, Contax, Canon FD and etc.

Low cost macro lens are available ranging from 200mm+ to 17mm.

Seconding the M42-EOS idea if you don't mind doing everything manually, and want results on the cheap. I don't do much macro work, but I inherited an old Pentax Bellows-Takumar 100/4 along with its' bellows unit and get great results. It's cumbersome and annoying to set up, but extremely sharp.

• 1 year later...

If you can use the Canon FL bellows, I've got one that's in almost mint condition (one tiny scuff) and which

includes the slide copy attachment. It's about to go on eBay at a buy it now of $100.00$ plus 12 for shipping.

Let me know if you're interested.

Tim<div>00QdG2-67061684.thumb.jpg.bd9fad62e79e713bbc4cc8ed2950c6d3.jpg</div>