One mroe question..D80 Shutter Life Span

kyle shortes

I am not sure that Nikon actually provides that information officially. For a consumer DSLR such as the D80, I would expect something like 50K to 75K actuations.

For whatever it is worth, I have mentioned before that an instructor I took a short class from knows some guy who uses a Canon 20D and shoots like crazy. In some weekend he shot 20K images. The shutter on his 20D finall broke after some 77K images, and that happened merely 7 months into his ownership of the 20D. Of course Canon fixed it under warranty.

I seem to recall the Nikon F3's were rated at 100,000 exposures... The Canon 30D is rated to 100,000.

Recently switching to a D80 from film I'm shooting way more images in a given outing. I guess I'm OK if 50,000 shots is the ballpark for a D80, but in actuality, that's really not an overwhelming amount.

Kyle,

Shutters on professional cameras like F6 and D2x will typically last about 150,000 shots. About half is what can normally be expected from semi-professional models like your D80, although it may differ from camera to camera.

I wouldn't worry too much about the life span of your shutter. How many pictures a year are you taking at the moment? From your biography I see you've been involved in photography for about a year. Even if you shoot something like 10,000 pictures a year (which honestly seems a lot to me, although when you start out in photography you should try your hand at all subjects), you will still be ok for the next six years. By 2013 there will be better cameras with more options for less money. If you shutter fails in 2013, you'd probably find repairing your D80 not worth it economically.

"Interesting, if my calculations are correct: a D200 at high speed 5 fps will reach 100,000 actuations (it's rated shutter life) in about 5 and a half hours."

Gary, if you ever tried that in real life, you'd better be quick changing those memory cards!! Incidentally, the F5 has an 8 frames per second rate, that means you eat through a 36 exposure film in 4.5 seconds. It takes longer to rewind and reload a film than to expose 36 shots.

The human eye is good for about 100,000,000+ images per lifetime with a max rate of 20fps. Perfect WB and exposure virtually every time, mono or colour. No storage card problems. Autofocus from 8cm to infinity with hardly any hunting. Excellent dynamic range. Supplied with a dominant version and identical back up and made to order in about 9 months. Variety of colours available.

Just the occasional lens replacement.

Come on Nikon, get your act together.

• 4 months later...

Hello All

Im new to this site but have a reply to the question on shutter life on the D200. I have a 4 month old D200 maybe 10.000 shots. I was out taking pictues today and I kept getting an errr message , reset no good another vr lense no good , master reset new battery no good. I called nikon and they want it sent in mechanical failure. The last shot i took the shutter went twang !!!!! it will not shoot more than one shot at a time hard to focus and the error message is still on.

I shoot in 5 burst only I do alot of birds and action shots, Great camera with a vr lense it tack sharp !!! BUT im concerned about the shutter life ?has any one here had the same issue.