Reduction in the number of ratings?

pjmeade

Hello,

Has anyone noticed a substantial drop in the number of ratings they receive?

I've submitted a couple of images recently that have had very few. The last

image I submitted has had no ratings after spending over 12 hours in the RR

queue. Others have had only a couple of ratings over several days. When the new

rating system was brought in, I think I could collect 20-30 ratings over 24

hours?

Is this a common experience?

I have noticed a reduction in the number of comments my images receive, but I always blame

myself and assume it is my crappy photography.

A bigger mystery for me is who comes along after I finally get one in a top gallery and puts

double 3's on long after it has ceased drawing attention. Happens all the time.

The 10,000 number is the number of new user registrations. It doesn't say anything about how many are regular participants in the gallery or how many give ratings vs. ask for ratings.

Photo.net gets lots and lots of registrations every month, but don't forget this. The number of ratings you get is a function of the number of images posted and the number of users giving ratings. If we get more users who post more images but don't give ratings, the number of rating any particular image get will probably actually go down, not up, as a consequence of a limited number of raters dealing with an increased number of images.

I don't know if the absolute number of ratings given in the last month has gone up or down. Maybe someone with access to those stats could post them?

I don't rate as much as I used to simply because there are too few photos that stand out. More and more people are posting family snaps and asking for a critique. That is their perogative but I would be far happier if the site encouraged photographers who want do discuss photos and photo topics rather than people who think seeing their photographs on the internet is a novelty.