Is this a good way to start?

nuno_campos1

Hi,

Last year I built my darkroom and although I have a 6x6 enlarger I have done

just 35mm enlargements.

I would like to try MF for landscape photography but I am always on a budget.

After some research I find the following combo at keh.com, bargain condition:

Mamiya M645 J (37$USD) + Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 N (31$USD) + Prism (17$USD) = 85$USD

Could you tell me if this is a good stat with MF or if I should go another

way? Something around 100$USD, would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Nuno Campos.

Wow that is pretty cheap. I started with mamiya 645 in the early 80s and

hated the camera as it was in the shop all the time. but for a hundred bucks

you can't go too far wrong. Hopefully someday your budget will increase and

you can get a nice camera that you will love and will last forever. Like a Rollei

That's how I got started in medium format, but for quite a bit more money. I upgraded later to a 1000S body, but kept all the lenses and other gear and still use them today. I've never had any problems with mine, but as with any brand of any product you will run into people who have had problems - nothing is perfect after all. The J doesn't have mirror lock up, but other than that it's just like the other models in that line.

- Randy

The M645J is my favorite Mamiya 645 when I don't need an <abbr title="auto exposure">AE</abbr> prism. This kit of you seem terribly underpriced, I hope there is nothing wrong with it. Try to find the waist-level finder, too, for it really is part of the <i>medium format experience</i>™.

The 120 insert is included.

Well, the 1000s would be a better choice with more speed and MLU, but it is more expensive and they do not have one in bargain condition now.

The price seems too good to be true, but people always tell that keh has a very conservative evaluation of the items condition, so?

Would the lack of MLU be a problem with long exposures?

If you were getting these items anywhere else I would be more concerned. I have ordered some of my Bronica medium format items from KEH and I a waiting for some of them to be delivered today. This will be a good start and you can't argue with those prices. If you decide you like using medium format equipment there is plenty of it out there from mamiya and other companies at very low prices. If you like landscape photography then your next lens will probably be a 55mm wide angle.

The 645 negative IS a lot bigger than you'd expect. With the standard 35mm frame you get about 864 sq. mm. of image area in a 2/3 aspect ratio. The 645 negative delivers approx. 2700 sq. mm (a bit less, but it's not by much) or three times the image area of the standard 35mm frame in a different 3/4 aspect ratio. The standard 8x10 print delivers an image area in a 4/5 aspect ratio, assuming equal borders on all sides of the print. Simply by looking at the numbers you can see that in order to print in 4/5 aspect ratio from a 35mm frame, you will be cropping out a lot of the available image to make it fit. With the 645 negative, you are throwing away much less of the image to make it fit that aspect ratio. So not only do you get a much larger negative from 645, you also get to use more of that much larger negative for the final print. Square medium format images have advantages if you want to print square pictures, but I find that I'm cropping square images down to something approximating the 645 negative anyway before I'm done. Larger medium format negatives (6x7 and up) of deliver even more image area but the size weight and cost of the gear goes up too. Nope, I thing that for most folks 645 is an ideal compromise. You get a large enough negative to deliver stunning 11x14 prints without all the added overhead of larger gear.

It's useless to argue with people that claim "645 is not large enough" since most of them have never used a 645 camera. All that do understand why the 645 format has been such a great success and why people love it.

<p>

By the way, if you are only shooting landscapes on a tripod and a normal lens is sufficient for you, you could always try a 6x9 folder camera or a plate/press camera with a roll film back -- it's the cheapest but not very ergonomic solution for huge negatives. Film and processing cost will kill you quickly as there are only 8 (or 9) frames per 120 roll. But 6x9 <i>is</i> huge...

Jump on it, Nuno. KEH is great -- their bargain stuff is usually in really great condition, and their return policy is excellent if something isn't right. The only thing I'd consider, if you would like to have interchangeable backs (it can be very handy having two backs w/ both color & b+w film or two different speeds of film), then you may want to go with the Super or Pro.

Also, you may want to have a quick look at the Bronica ETRS cameras. They are also excellent, and very inexpensive these days. You can compare which lenses you might want to add in the future and get a feel of the prices between the Mamiya and the Bronica.

The bottom line is, both are EXCELLENT and can be had for dirt cheap these days. Have fun!