Who are you?

anner

After a discussion with another photographer, I really felt compelled to find out a little more about our

current photographic community. Please take a moment to share a little bit about yourself and how

wedding photography fits into your life.

1. Do you consider yourself a full-time or part-time wedding photographer?

- If you're a part-time wedding photographer, do you plan to stay that way, or eventually go full time?

2. How did you get into wedding photography?

3. How many weddings would you like to shoot in 2007? How many do you have booked?

4. What is your most popular package/price?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions!! I look forward to reading everyone's

answers!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Full-time, as in I do something business related 40+hours a week.

2. Took photography in school, shot my first wedding for a friend 10 years ago and got

hooked.

3. 15 (low-ball), have 4. Doing pretty well on that goal.

4. That's a personal question. My most popular are my middle and top range packages.

What are your answers Anne?

1. Full time

2. Seems like I have had a camera in my hands since I could walk

3. Would like to take all of 2007 off lol, but we already have 39 booked, we did 124 in 2006, I do have a partner in crime and we shoot weddings on Fri, Sat and even on Sun. We are a popular destination wedding area.

4. $3000.00

Hmmm... I wonder if people are afraid they'll be judged? Please don't look at it that way,

this is just about getting to know each other! OK, I'll go first...

1. Full time

2. A friend asked me to shoot her wedding

3. Only want 30, Already have 26

4. 2007 middle package with travel averages to $3K

If you haven't shot any weddings yet... just put your projected numbers. This isn't a

competition, it's just a getting-to-know you!! Everyone is different and will have different

goals and numbers based on where they live and how they operate.

1. I'm a full time photographer (nothing else outside of photography)....but weddings are a small part of it... the meat of my business right now is children, maternity and families.

2. I was asked to do a wedding 2 years ago for a friend of a friend.... got paid $75 for it, and it took off from there.

3. No more than 10 this year, with my limit being 2 booked in one month..... have 2 booked so far.

4. The middle package.....

1-PT would like FT but FT job too good to give up.

2-My photographer did my wedding 11 years ago and I have been helping him ever since.

3-We shot about 42 weddings in 2006 and I hope to do 6 on my own this year as I have 2 this year and 1 next year on my own.

4-Did not get that far yet but 1500-3500 will be the range.

I still need to get website up and then let you all critique it.

1. Extremely part time wedding photog; and more often kids portraits, parties, and sports action gigs. And overall yes, part time at photography for *others* benefit. I'll stay part time unless I get "found" by a sponsor or a rich benefactor.

2. Got into by shooting my brother's wedding 10 years ago as a free gift. I was already pretty handing with 35mm cameras and knew I could pull it off, which I did.

3. In 2007? Less than four but more than one. That's all. Just one booked. But see 2-3 more happening.

4. All digital package; even though I enjoy portra type film and even B&W film. SO a combo of images to disk (medium & hi res) and prints (some I handle myself some I farm out) for less than $1500. No fancy album work either.

1. Neither. Occasional wedding photographer for friends or colleagues.

2. Began shooting as a guest and loved the rush, the creativity, and the images.

3. 4 or 5. But first I have to get my name out there!

4. N/A

I am learning a ton in this forum, and appreciate everyone's candor and generosity. I'm also amazed at how far wedding photography has come since I got married in 1997.

1. Part-time, I have been working for the same business Full-time for 27.5yrs, and have been doing weddings since 1988 (started in video, then moved to photo). Most likely will never go FT until I retire in 10yrs at age 55, and even then, my versin of FT will not be what others consider FT.

2. Always like photography, started in video, and found photo to be more creative, enjoyable and made the switch.

3. 15-20 is what I'd like to end up with, I have 8 booked now.

4. I'm finding more and more brides are looking for shoot and burn packages, and do a lot of them, I also seem to go from that, to Graphi album packages. Price $900/3500

1. FT Wedding photog, part editorial.

2. While I was studing photography at the Art Institute I was contacted by a high school friend wh wanted me to shoot her wedding. I did and I actually really enjoyed it. http://seanflaniganphotography.com/#s=4&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=1&a=0&at=0 that is a sequnce of shots from my first wedding. The bride was beautiful.

3. I would like to shot 34, I have 22 on the books.

4. 8 hours of coverage $3000.

Thanks to you, Ruth for getting this started.

Sean

1. I am part-time but I derive all of my income from photography. I have three young kids and so I work approx. 15 hours during the week, Saturdays (of course) and a few evenings.

2. I did some at school, hobby photographer for a few years, got into digital early as I was using it a lot as a teacher, did some web stuff, learned photo editing..sis got married and asked me and my husband to do photos...so it all came together; the geek stuff and the creative stuff :-)

3. I wanted to shoot 20 this season (october to april) and have just booked number 20. I hope to pick up a coouple in the off season and would like to keep it at 20 next season but increase the total sale.

4. Average spend is $2500-$3000.

Cool idea, Anne!

1. Do you consider yourself a full-time or part-time wedding photographer? - If you're a part-time wedding photographer, do you plan to stay that way, or eventually go full time?

Part timer! I would love to go full time in the future; so we'll wait and see. :)

2. How did you get into wedding photography?

Loved weddings, loved photography. Figured out that the two went together. :)

3. How many weddings would you like to shoot in 2007? How many do you have booked?

I would like to shoot as many as possible. Whoever, wherever, whenever. I am shooting 3 by myself, and looking at 4 or 5 as a second shooter. So excited!!

Doing this to gain experience right now, so not charging lots. Building up my portfolio for this year, and next year I will be kicking ass and charging something more than what I am now! :)

1. Do you consider yourself a full-time or part-time wedding photographer? - If you're a part-time wedding photographer, do you plan to stay that way, or eventually go full time?

PART TIME - years down the road - full time

2. How did you get into wedding photography? It got into me, from other family/beach work

Like to shoot 15-20

Just hired on by two photo/video/dj package companies as second and primary shooter.

Free - not good enough to charge yet :)

Well this isn't the typical photo.net thread is it? Don't you want to know what lens we shoot with and how sharp it is :-)<p>

1. Part timer at photography for a while now. I'll shoot almost anything.

<p>

2. Started weddings about a year ago. I love the people, the excitement, the challenge and good vibes. Being able to document real-life events and emotions is a beautiful thing.

<p>

3. The goal is 10 weddings in '07. More would be gravy. I have 4 booked now.

<p>

4. $1500 ~ $2000 range for now.

<p>

cheers!

1: Full time wedding/event photographer currently shooting about 30 weddings a year + more Barmitzvas, fundraisers, etc than I wish to remember!

2: I used to manage a photo lab, hung around with pro's a lot in the shop, started by apprenticing to my present biggest rival and very close friend who has many hundreds of weddings under his belt although he is a photo journalist by profession.

3: I have had 12 booked between Jan and the end of April, Orthodox Jewish Weddings are rarely booked more than 3 months in advance, I fully expect to at least triple that number by the end of this year. My biggest problem at present is having to turn down several dates because they are in a different city to weddings I'm shooting the day before. As these weddings are 12 hours plus you can understand why doing two in two days plus 3 hours of driving is a problem though it pains me to turn away great sounding jobs!

4: I have packages between 699 GBP and 2000 GBP, the most popular at present is a new package for 1100 GBP which will rise to 1250 GBP in a months time given how popular it is!

1. Part-time. I plan on going full time when I have kids in a few years. Right now I love my full time too much to give up, although I could go full time photo if I needed.

2. Photojournalism major in college, and after discovered I hated working for a newspaper. Shot a few friends weddings on the side...

3. I have a goal of 30 weddings this year. I have 14 booked. Better get on that....

4. I have one package now. $2000. Before I would say it was my $1800 package.

This is my first post, so here goes:

1. I am part time - I just started advertising services in Dec. 2006 - would love to be full time eventually.

2. I have been shooting since high school. Last year I was asked to shoot two weddings for friends and was hooked.

3. I would love to get 6 bookings for 2007 - have one booked so far.

4. Can't say yet....although my packages range from $600-$1500.

1. Part-time assistant/second shooter. I have a day job which pays bills while my fiancee builds up her business. We talkled about me going full-time but we're years off.

2. My grandfather taught me about photography when I was young, maybe 10ish. I had also done a little freelance work for Nola.com during Mardi Gras. About a year ago my fiancee and I had a conversation that went like this:

Jessica: My assistant moved to Texas. We have a wedding this weekend. You're going pro whether you like it or not.

Me: Do I have to?

Jessica: Yes.

Me: Will there be food?

Jessica: Yes.

3. I think she's booked 20 with 2-3 in the works. I do not know what her goal is.

Great idea!<BR>

1. I consider myself a part-time photographer. I want to stay that way, at least until my daughter is in school.<BR>

2. My husbands brother asked us to photograph his wedding...I look back and shake my head. We used all manual gear and processed the film at Walmart. We have upgraded since then. :-)<BR>

3. Although I consider myself more of a portrait photographer,I would like to shoot maybe 10 this year. I have none booked, but have already shot one. The last two years I have assisted.<BR>

4. So far my most popular package has been in the $1000 range.