DMR bites the dust.

bobtodrick

> I wish I could find my post from about 3 years ago which said this product was a waste of time which would sell to about a dozen people (or words to that effect).

John,

you were right-on-the-mark, except you missed the sales-count. they never quite made it to a dozen. almost though.

I think that's a misguided response John. They sold as many DMR's as they could make. At

least several thousand were sold. I know this because my first DMR was numbered around

300, and the replacement just a few months later was numbered over 2000. Beyond that, it is

a great camera that has superb image quality. Whether or not it fits your need is another

story, but pretty much anyone who has used one will tell you that it produces great images

and is very pleasant to work with. It was not meant to appeal to a universal market, just to R

system owners who wanted a digital solution. In that market it did very well.

"Some of those "armchair generals" are actually long time Leica owners and users who paid a great deal of money over a number of years in the belief that what Leica was saying had some sense of reality.

I suppose that I qualify for the "armchair" part since I have bought, sold, donated, retained, and otherwise owned or acquired numerous Leicas and their appurtenances over the past sixty odd years. But I never rose above company grade and thus cannot aspire to the "general" designation. However, as on the Iraq situation, I prefer to keep my thoughts to myself regarding the "survival of Leica" issue.

Anthony -- I am sure that the conflicting information comes from the fact that they are still

selling remaining stocks, but they don't have the intention to build any more. The situation

was the same with many other products, like the Xpan and the hasselblad 200 series. They

say they are selling them so they don't undercut the dealers, but in reality, they are just

waiting for all of them to sell out. When they sell out, they say, "oh, by the way, the xpan is

discontinued". I would trust Bob's word much more than what they would tell a customer,

because they are always going to be more honest with a dealer than with a customer.

I just spoke to the people at Leica NJ. They confirmed that the DMR production line is finished and that o more will be made. They also confirmed that they are working on the update and that it should be available "soon". HOWEVER,WHEN I ASKED ABOUT THE R10, they stated that they have no knowledge of one........... Draw your own inferences, friends.

<i>"Ask me that in 40-50 years."</i><p>

No sane person is buying any digital camera today with the intent of keeping it for 40-50 years - be it Leica, Canon, or 'Blad.<p>

The ROI on film camera (bodies) were measured mostly in terms of the longevity of the body alone. Not so for digital. With digital, the ROI is determined by a combination of body + sensor output that meets your individual needs. From that perspective, someone who has taken enough shots with their digital camera to have gotten an appropriate degree of personal and professional satisfaction can claim that they derived as much, if not more, value from owning them for a mere year or two than someone who owned film cameras did from their "investment" for a decade or five. The equations and the measures of success are different.

"... the basis for my statement has to do with longevity of the film camera bodies being used as an excuse to trash digital."

With film bodies, you upgraded with better film. With digital bodies you upgrade with better bodies. The older film emulsions became obsolete as newer and better emulsions took their place. With digital, the camera itself becomes obsolete with each succeeding generation. Sure, you can still use an outdated digital body--just like you can still use obsolete Super-X film (if you have a supply frozen somewhere). But I seriously doubt anyone shooting a 2007 model digital camera today will still have the capability of using it at the middle of the 21st Century for anything other than a bit of nostalgia.