Replacing a bridal portrait?

I have not seen this problem discussed and would appreciate your opinion.

We did a wedding portrait for a bride a few weeks ago and she was slow picking

her final image and so we had a tight deadline to get it ready in time for her

wedding day.

Here in the South it is common to display a bridal portrait at the wedding

reception typically in the foyer of the reception hall. The bride asked if we

could deliver the portrait to the reception venue the day before the wedding.

We did and the venue manager insisted upon inspecting it and gave us a signed

receipt.

The bride & groom both loved it. I assume after the reception her family took

it home. The bride called after the honeymoon and says she just noticed

a "black smudge" and wants us to look at it when she comes in to look at her

proofs.

Now we are happy with every aspect of the transaction with her and I don't

think she would try and cheat us in any way but I foresee her wanting a no

cost replacement. We are 100% positive we delivered the portrait in perfect

condition and don't see that we are responsible for damage after delivery to

the venue manager.

A major consideration is that she works for the school system and has already

spoken highly of us and we just booked another wedding on her referral. The

replacement print will cost $85 (mounted 16x20). My options are tell her no,

offer to split the cost or replace at no charge.

My initial reaction is to let her know we delivered in perfect condition but

pay for the replacement out of good will.

What are your thoughts?

You have to see the "smudge" and find out if it's the print or the matt or flass or everything

that needs replacing. <p>

Where are you printing where it costs $85 for a mounted 16x20 ?? You should be able to get

that for about $30 plus shipping costs.

<p>

I'd say just replace it for her. Especially if she's been nice and already gave you a referral.

What's $85 when you're talking about good PR and marketing (especially when it should

really only cost you about $30 or $40).

It might be worth waiting to see what the smudge is before deciding how to approach this. They are probably already aware it was delivered fine but may be disappointed in that their lovely portrait didn't survive the reception, etc. - It's not necessarily an issue of fault but how can everyone get back to a position of beauty?

Take a look at the portrait, but if she's providing you with new business thru referrals, you may just be better off absorbing the cost! GREAT customer service eequals more clients...Definately ask for the smudged portrait to be returned...you wouldn't want anything out there less than 100%! And, if you can fix the smudge, use it for advertising!

Michelle

Oh come on! :) This is a chance to go above and beyond what she expects and even if she is trying to get somehting for nothing (which I don't think she is) she'll feel so guilty for taking advantage of her awesome photographer that she'll only be able to say amazing things about you from now on! If there's a smudge replace it and throw in some chocolates or flowers or something to say you're sorry. Even if it isn't your fault. :) Maybe even throw in a credit for another print or something. It's time to shine!

>What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that if you want to pick a fight, pick it with the hotel manager - especially if they signed off on the portrait.

The bride doesn't care whose fault it is, and you promised to give her a portrait. It is your responsibility to make sure that that happens.

If this were over $850, I could understand your objections, but I think you would be very foolish for future business to suggest splitting the cost of the new portrait with the bride.

Pay it yourself to replace it, or fight with the reception hall, but your client should never suspect a thing.

I'd replace the print, free of charge and fanfare. Chances are, the bride realizes the print was fine when you delivered it. I don't see much to be gained from pointing fingers. Take the high road.

It should cost you far less to replace the print than what your customer paid you. You should be able to replace it without losing money. Might cut into the profit, but shouldn't send you into the red.

Since you can make the customer happy and not lose money, I don't see any solution *other* than replacing the print gratis.

Eric

Read your post about the paper you use. Can you reprint on regular paper? Most paper from Kodak and Fugi is lifetime, so it may be an easy way out of this situation.

As others have said pay it and keep the clients happy. Most of our business now is through referrals. Because there are so many good photographers out there in the world now you need to keep the clients real happy. When we first opened our studio 20 years ago there were 4 photographers in the area. When I opened the Yellow Pages a few weeks ago there were over 50 and it's going to continue to grow with such great quality digital cameras, computers, printers, in short the new high tech world.