Tripod and monopod

rafael_azofeifa

Hello,

I currently have a tripod, but with no deatachable head, so every time I must

run for it (if I'm at a wedding or an event) I must screw the camera and lose

very precious time.

I'm looking for a tripod and a monopod, if posible with the same deatachable

head so I can use the same one attached to my camera and just click on the

monopod or tripod, depending on which I'm going to use.

If I get a monopod and a tripod but no compatible head, I'd have to screw the

head when I make the change, which is what I want to avoid.

Thanks for the input.

Rafael.

Hi Rafael, While it's admittedly not *quite* as good as using a tripod, if budget permits, you might look into Image Stabilized lenses. In many situations they can (with decent hand-holding technique) provide amazingly sharp shots at amazingly long shutter speeds while using neither a tripod or monopod. I personally couldn't imagine shooting a wedding without my IS lenses. Good luck!

I would probably go for an Arca-Swiss quick release rather than those big old style hex plates from Bogen/Manfrotto. You could likely retrofit your existing tripod with something from ReallyRightStuff.com.

But I also really like the response to look into the image stabilized lenses. IS would almost seem to be a necessity with weddings.

Budget please. :)

Pricing runs from the benign as in; "That ain't zip." to the; "You've got to be kidding." range.

The gold standard of the budget minded set, is the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro with 488RC0 ballhead attached about $250.00 USD over at B&H. A bit heavy but if just for the occasional shot at a wedding, you'll be good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=217263&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=272989&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Now if you want some decent middle of the road stuff, check out Feisol legs and monopods. The monopod is half the price of a Gitzo with about ninety percent of a Gitzo performance characteristics; which is a really good thing. Their shop is in Hong Kong, they take PayPal, delivery is fast and they stand by their gear. The tripods, they're a sort of Gitzo knock-off, not as well made but overall, for light duty, they're a good deal.

http://feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

The good stuff, that's Gitzo. Gitzo is the industry gold standard. Check out their GT1540 with a RRS BH-40LR II ballhead and replace the column with a tripod base plate by Kirk Enterprises. This can all be carried in the way cool and chic ThinkTankPhoto Bazooka Tripod Bag, but that's the bank breaking version. :) It's folds up short, light weight, sets up easily, backpackable, can be carried in a suitcase for airline travel and will easily handle a pro body w/100-300/4.0 attached. If you want more, you'll have to step up to a 2 or 3 series legset.

It all boils down to money, (what's your budget and double or triple it) and are you willing to hit the hip or plastic so as to get the good stuff. Only you can answer that question.

Hope the above helps get you started.

Thanks for the responses.

I use the 70-200mm IS 2.8, and a fixed 1.4, but even though my hands don't shake a lot, I get the "this is my best picture ever (in the camera monitor) this is my worst picture ever (in the computer monitor when I see it all blury).

I see they talk a lot about a "quick release" for tripod and monopod heads, but I'm seing $400 tripods!!! :(

Does anyone have a link to a lower price ones?

Thank you!

The two primary fields of choice are Bogen and Arca-Swiss.

Bogen has a couple of quick release "systems," the two most poular are the rc2 and the rc0 (zero). The rc2 is a smaller basically square plate, the rc0 has a larger hexagonal plate. The rc0 is larger and some folks complain that it's uncomfortable to carry the larger plate on some cameras - the plate edges extend beyond the camera body, yet there is some discussion that it's stronger or more stable than the rc2. I have and use a couple of heads with the rc2 system. It will be easier to find and match up heads for tripods or monopods in Bogen's line using the same qr plates, than it is in other lines, and even easier than considering trying to cross brands and find compatibility. (Ball heads sometimes can be easily retrofit with different plate assemblies but the pistol grip or pan/tilt heads tend to be less easily changed to other plate systems, even within a brand.)

For a rather notable increase in price, the Arca-Swiss system is available. Many of the best tripod heads come set up for AS systems or the plate assemblies can be readily added. Again, it's generally easier with ball heads than pan/tilts.

What I'd suggest is to check out the B&H tripod section, look at the different heads, then also look at the available qr systems. From there, check out Kirk and Really Right Stuff. Even if you don't go for their gear, the product websites go into a lot of detail about the AS system, how it's used, adaptability to other systems, etc.