Leica in Thailand

Whaddya mean, represented? Like, do they have a Leica dealer?

I took my M2 to Korat. Leica was represented while I was there.

Leica will be represented in Phuket when you get there.

Ride the Thai railway. It's fun.

Spend a little time in Bangkok, too.

Get out of Bangkok ASAP, IMHO. I spent more than a year in Thailand on two jobs in 1990 and 1995, and recently returned for a month of holiday (2006). In 1990, Bangkok was a choking, polluted, loud and congested dump (all words in this sentence in all cap's). It has only gotten worse on each subsequent visit. Sure, go to Wat Phra Kow with the rest of the tourists, one must visit ONCE, like the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower. When I worked in Paris, recently (2005), I didn't go into either, around (my apt was close to the Louvre), yes. Chatuchak Weekend Market is interesting for browsing and photography. Forget about Leica when there, it's not worth the effort, YMMV. Explore the other islands and the mainland coast, just don't sit on the beach and/or the hotel pool the whole trip. Enjoy your holiday.

I live in Bangkok and have done for the last 5 years - sure it's dirty and chaos at times but it

has its own charm in this chaos and there is much to photograph. Puket is way too touristy

but it depends what you like.

Leica has good representation here.

Email me if you want more info.

contactme at simon-larbalestier dot co dot uk

I forgot to add, again, because of my enthusiasm, remembering my time in Thailand, was that places like Phuket and Pattaya are not really Thailand, and do not reflect Thai culture. It's a "colony" of falang (foreiners) similar to the Costa Del Sol or Costa Brava (less so) in Spain (I've also worked in Spain for several months in '97). Sure, the food CAN be authentic, but the culture and demographic of these places have been watered-down beyond recognition from the Franco era and prior in Spain, and the Vietnam War era for Thailand. My Spanish GF, who worked in the area before I arrived, told me from experience. We also lived in the area, and bought property (Marbella) just two-years prior to the introduction of the Euro. Good move. 8*)

Try these:

Camera Collection Eddie Siu (very helpful) Channisara Tower/Ground Floor/Surawong Road

(just down from Robinson?s Department Store end of Silom Road) - The best one for me.

Photo Hoby 3rd Floor Silom Complex Silom Road

AV Camera 1 Soi Keson (Charenkrong 50), Next to Robinson Bangrak, New Road, Bangrak,

Bangkok 10500

Foto File Co., Ltd 1st Floor Mahboonkrong Center (MBK), Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

There is also a Lecia dealer supposedly at the I-Q Lab on Petchuburi Road

i don't have the exact address to hand Peter Treatise (not sure i spelt this correctly i

writing this very fast) who writes in the forum may be able to help you more.

I was the one Pablo mentioned about sending Leica's to DAG (for modification only) and

Hong Kong (for repair) the latter is done through Eddie at Camera Collection

Hi Andreas,

As Simons said about the shop you may looking for Leica.

I've any more suggestions if you're in Thailand and have problem with your Leica camera you should go to AV Camera first (asking for Mana,shop's owner). This shop can help and fix your problem.

Another shop for seeking any Leica is "Camera and Lens"shop at Central Department Store Rama III. and if you want to look for lots of brand old camera and accessories you can go to Pirom Plaza Building,near MerryKing Department Store Wang Burapa.

Additional, IQ labs Petchaburi Rd, is near Petchaburi Subway Station or see http://www.iqlab.co.th for more information. Peter Tresize shows his photographs here too.

P.S. to Stephen W. I don't think all same like you said. Every city have 2 sides like coins. What do you met may not happen to other.

Cheers,and sorry for my poor English.

Wish it help you.

The place I worked was Map Ta Phut. We all stayed in Pattaya because the boss liked Western food. In '90 there was a KFC, but no other Western chain food (I seem to recall a Pizza Hut). I, generally ate local/hawker Thai food. Pad Thai was for 10 Baht (40 Cents at the time (how much do you pay in the US?). One of my coworkers, while on R&R, would go to BKK and eat at McD's for breakfast, Burger King for Lunch, and the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner, LOL. So yes, there are burger joints in BKK, I didn't say good ones. I remember one trip to McD's in BKK. It was used to show status at the time...a couple drinking one Coke with one of those brick Motorola phones prominantely placed on the table.

• 7 months later...

A late response.. Paul, you might find this interesting, how about the Trilogy Burger....

Trilogy Burger at Trader Vic's Bkk Marriot - "an extravagant version of the iconic burger

meal, featuring a 12 oz. Black Truffle and Matsusaka Beef Pattie roasted in a Chinese

wood-fired oven, accompanied with Seared Foie Gras, Gold Leaf and Morel-Mustard relish,

and served on a toasted sesame and Wakame bun"

http://www.marriottgoldcard.com/en/promotions.php?

mode=normal&lang_id=10&properties_id=20#

I second Simon's recommendation of Camera Collection, which you can find perhaps easier if

you go to Jim Thompson Thai Silk on Suriwong road, then walt some 20 yards metres to

Rama IV Road, turn right and walk some 50 metres and will find the Charn Issara Tower,

where the shop is on the ground floor. Camera Collection is a reputable shop and Eddie Siu

sells good used Leica and other equipment (Rollieflex, Hasselblad, etc), and won't fob off any

junk.

--Mitch/Bangkok